December
30, 2019
Greetings from
the edge of tomorrow,
On a morning
just like this one, not long ago, twenty years, many people were terrified
about the end of the world as we know it.
If you suspect exaggeration, ask an honest person about that week; see
if they were in a long line at the grocery store, loading up on essentials.
A few people
just assumed that the experts were taking care of everything, but the experts
were on TV saying they didn’t know what to expect. The decade was going to flip from 1999 to
2000 and for all anyone knew, Y2K would be a catastrophe. No one knew if computers understood calendars
well enough. Yes, the same calendars
that hang from repair-garage walls, might stymie Hal 9000.
The cities would go dark.
Computers would stop talking to us, stop processing our credit cards,
managing surgeries or running our elevators.
Planes would fall from the sky. Our
PC would not be able to get anything to print, even if you turned it off and
back on again. The big fear was that
technology would stop, and that civilization, such as it is, would grind to an
agonizing halt.
But it didn’t. The hands
on the clock turned, the magic that is all ones and zeroes didn’t fall to hysteria
when the nines turned to zeroes. Another
year flipped, and another, and technology shrugged. We sighed with relief; the catastrophe had
been avoided. Well, my PC still won’t
talk to my printer.
What occurs to me is that, as Y2K loomed, everyone was afraid
that technology would stop. No one was
afraid that technology, with all of its wonders, would continue, and in startling
ways. Almost no one said “Oh no, what if
tomorrow our phones will get more attention than our children?”
No one wondered if two decades would pass, and the computers
would play such an important role our lives that we would have traded time with
friends, and experiences of the world, for a shiny virtual replacement.
I’ll pause here and say I am not a Luddite, and no, that is
not someone from Ludington. I am not
afraid of technology and gadgets and conveniences. I am not against the progress that this age
has brought. Some of it is lifesaving,
some puts knowledge and access in the hands of people who never would otherwise
be able to reach their potential. In
fact, I am a proponent of all of the advantages that The Screens have brought
us.
When I learned to drive, there were rules and limitations
applied, to make my life, and those around me, safe and pleasurable. I enjoyed the convenience and advantage of being
able to drive, but some experienced person first said: “Before you begin, here
is how you can best use this innovation in your life.” Also, there was a balance in my life,
eventually, that said that the best way to get from one place to the next was
not always by car.
One of my favorite technology helps is the directions my phone gives
me. But one of the few bits of wisdom I
have held onto is that occasionally it is good to get lost. Therein is the discovery, the surprise, the
adventure, if rightly considered.
I have this book, one of my favorites. It’s really old, and in the fashion of bookbinding
in those days the pages have ragged, irregular edges. If you hold the book slightly open and riffle
the pages, the book presents you with a different place to read each time. It falls open to this scene or that, and I
feel a sense of the mystical, mixed in with the irreplaceable tactile
experience.
What happens in that moment is random and a surprise. I already know the words but as they are
presented it is a magical occurrence, one that, even in the telling you, feels whimsical
and warm. Here is what appeared for me. “We find after years of struggle that we
not take a trip; a trip takes us.”― John Steinbeck.
There is no equal to this in the digital publication of the book.
I can turn on this screen and see the peaks of the Dolomites
or a sweeping prairie, or be transported to the redwoods, or marvel at the Sphinx. It is amazing that the world can be brought to
my little den. And yet, there is no
equal to standing in a forest, feeling the dampness, smelling the things
growing and dying, hearing the nok nok nok of the woodpecker, seeing the deer
move among the oaks. There is no
experience in a screen or VR that can compare to running under a summer sky, or
the squeak of the first steps of a snow run.
There is nothing inside your headphones that will give you the same
sensation as a child’s laughter.
I am grateful to be able to write to you, to send this around
the globe and know our connection. I
love being able to call my family without hesitation from anywhere in the
world. And I will never trade that for clasping
the hand of a friend or holding someone I love.
If this seems a bit dramatic forgive me. I am trying to tell you kindly that in this
new year there will be an opportunity to avoid a technological tragedy. The end of this decade snuck up on me; I was expecting one page to tip over and it
turns out ten flipped by. I looked up
and we are at the edge of another decade.
It seems like a good time to resolve for balance.
With no apologies I offer this suggestion for Y2.02K. We can choose, being the sentient beings, to
silence Siri, to darken a screen, to trade a moment’s efficiency for the color
and texture and warmth that is the real gift waiting for us when we opened our
eyes this morning. And for the next
decade.
It’s possible for us to create our own catastrophe, so to speak. It’s a good time to show the world, and
whoever is creating the next shiny thing for us to fall in love with, that we
understand how to use technology, and how to not use it. We can choose the richness each day, the real
world as it was created for us. Life is meant for more than watching, it calls
to us to be part of it, to create and love and sing and feel the ache of trying
and the welling joy that comes when we experience our purpose. Walk to the hardware store instead of having a
drone deliver the nails to your doorstep.
Put the phone down, close the laptop, turn off the big screen, and turn
to see who is waiting to change your life.
Hope
this finds you living the reality,
David
Copyright
© 2019 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment