Monday, December 23, 2019

2nd Moanin' of Christmas




January 28, 2008

Greetings from the sound booth,

I love to listen to music, and I like variety, but lately I have had less tolerance for what is on the radio.  I still have my favorites from classic rock and roll, but I find myself straining to hear something fresh and original, something with character. 

That’s why I was paying attention when I heard just a slice of a song from a group named ‘Grizzly Bear’.   It was a strange mix of sounds; muted banjo, piano, and subdued percussion, and behind it, ghostly vocals.  The sound was old and subtle, mixed with a techno edge. 

The feel of the music was different, and when I heard the group interviewed I found out why.  The album, called “Yellow House” was recorded in an old house.  The band incorporated what they found there; pots and pans, cupboard doors, an old out of tune piano, a rocking chair.  The sound of the music held the character from the house where they lived, not a sound proof, controlled studio.  The music did more than include the acoustics of the house; it absorbed the feel of the house. 

I know little about making music, even less about recording, but I recognize the feeling from the music.  I have been thinking about it all this week as I listened to the sounds of my own house. 

In winter the wind can roar across the fields next to us and even with the line of trees near our house makes a howl around the windows, down the chimney.  There is the hum of the refrigerator, mindlessly cycling up and down to keep the milk cool.  The snick of dog nails on the wood floor, a clink of his collar bling.  The furnace whispers warm reassurance.

Water running in the shower upstairs, playing the pipes in the walls, rattling as the water is slammed off, tick tick ticking as the pipes cool.  The clock in the hall chimes, just a tad too slow because it needed winding a few days ago.  The phone rings.

Sound levels go up and down with the population level.  My children make enough noise on their own, but matched with their friends the racket goes up exponentially.   Laughter, arguing, cheering, and the rumble of stampeding feet. 

I can tell which son is coming down the stairs by the cadence of footfalls as they descend.  I can hear when four teenagers converge on the bathroom at the same time, even when I can’t make out the words they are using. 

When you open the silverware drawer, it slips in the track just a bit and rattles the forks and spoons, a jangle and clunk.  The tea kettle whistles.  The back door moans a little when opened.  The floors squeak. The phone rings. The storm door rattles when it closes.  Someone is coming home; there is the vibration from the garage door opener.  There is a Velcro kind of schrrccch when you open the front door.  It makes the dog bark.

Homework being done.  Rummaging in unlikely drawers for scissors, paper, pencils.  The stereos pump out music, for better concentration.  The phone rings.  The electric pencil sharpener grinds off what’s not needed, sounding angry for being disturbed.

Toilets flushing, lunch bags being crushed into backpacks, Cheerios raining into glass bowls, clothes hampers being dragged down the stairs, thumping resentment at each step.  The phone rings.  Talking, arguing, yelling, laughing, joking, asking, reminding, scolding, disagreeing, apologizing, praying.  And pleading: will someone get that phone!

The kids make their own music.  Practice, practice, practice.  Trumpet, guitar, piano, cello, bass.  They sing.  There is kitchen dancing, music bumping from the Bose, shuffling on the wood floors while the clean plates get put away, clinking glasses and cups in time.

In this quiet time this morning there is only the click of the keyboard, the huff of the coffee pot, impatiently reminding me to have another cup.  And this other music; it isn’t a sound, but it is.  I can hear my family here, sleeping, growing, dreaming.

Just as the music from “Yellow House” took on the sounds of the house it was recorded in, I am etched with the sounds of my home.  I sound different because of the noises made here.  I sound richer, more complete.  What better music is there?

Hope this finds you listening,       

David



Copyright © 2008 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment