October
10, 2022
Greetings
from the shotgun seat,
Occasionally,
I will wonder. For example, I wonder
about how the fizz from Vernors impacts the ozone layer. I wonder about the
word ‘whatnot’. Also ‘scoff’, which
always looks misspelled.
This
week I wondered why anyone would want an autonomous car. We are a pretty independent group, taken as a
whole, and there has always been a pretty strong resistance to anyone even
suggesting they take some control of our lives from us. Strangely, there isn’t an amendment
protecting the right to drive.
And
somehow, billions are being spent developing autonomous cars. Who is it that is so interested in creating
this enormous paradigm shift in transportation?
At
first, I figured it had to be senior citizens, who are already being threatened
with the loss of independent driving. Driverless
is a perfect match. Families wouldn’t have to worry about them
getting lost, dozing during a green light, or leaving their turn signal in the ‘irrevocable’
position. But it seems unlikely that the
same age group that struggles with technology would be the ‘driving’ force
behind computer-navigated cars.
Perhaps
new parents. Everyone knows that the principal
struggle with infants is getting them to sleep, and often the most reliable
path is to put them in the car and drive them around. Imagine autonomous cars driving around the
neighborhood with a baby on board, while happy parents get in a little free
time for laundry, or to catch up on the Netflix queue.
Or
maybe there is a collection of people that would like autonomous cars to send off
to run errands, pick up groceries, go through the car wash, maybe the drive-thru
at Taco Bell.
People
in autonomous cars could get work done, do yoga, take naps, make out, text each
other. So maybe there’s an
attraction. Still seems like any of
these are pretty small segments of society to sway an entire industry of car
manufacturers, road builders, not to mention all the technology that needs to
be in place, satellites and whatnot.
And
then I realized I’d overlooked the most powerful sector of influence in our
country. More significant than Gen X or
Boomer or Gamer or any political party.
Dogs.
I
was driving home from the grocery store yesterday, kind of an old-fashioned
thing where I drive myself to the parking lot, walk in, then wander through the
aisles trying to remember what I needed.
Anyway, on my way home I saw a truck in front of me and three of the windows
had dogs hanging out. They were the
happiest creatures on the planet. That’s
when I knew.
Dogs
want driverless cars. You may scoff, but
allow me to elucidate.
Over
38% of U.S. households have a dog, or to be exact, 1.6 dogs. This number could be higher given that dogs
almost never fill out the census accurately.
A good estimate is that there are 100 million dogs in our houses, not to
mention more than a few wandering the streets.
100 million dogs could elect a president, easily. Well, other than that voting thing.
But
that aside, dogs have influence. According
to the pet industry, (there is a pet industry, which is probably more powerful
than a lobby) people spend $1200 a year on average for their dogs. Food, vets, paying
people to walk them, toys, strollers, clothes, grooming. It’s nearly a bazillion dollars a year.
Dogs
don’t seem to have an agenda, but somehow they get what they want.
There
is no creature that likes going for a ride in the car more than a dog. This is only an educated guess, but I’m guessing,
educatedly, if it was up to them, it’s probably all they’d do. It’s likely that their considerable influence
on pet food makers has shifted to policymakers, car makers, and technology
makers. It seems obvious to me, which in
no way is meant to sound like something intelligent, that dogs are steering the
driverless future in this country.
Sometime
in the near future you will be driving down the road and look into the cars
next to you and realize you are surrounded by happy dogs. The rest of your species will be at home, ordering
food to be delivered, watching sunsets on YouTube, while dogs are out having
the time of their lives.
Oh,
and I wonder about whatever happened to ‘cap snafflers’.
Hope
this finds you with the windows rolled down,
David
Copyright
© 2022 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment