Monday, January 30, 2017

Tic Tac Toe



November 14, 2016

Greetings from your mark,

One of the beauties of life is the conversation that flows back and forth between people who are interested in sharing and hearing perspectives.  Inherent in these exchanges I have realized are elements of trust, respect, and a willingness to risk.

But just lately too many conversations I hear are not an exchange of anything.  It is part of the life, of course.  Some subjects leave no room for compromise, it seems, no place for alternatives, and we want to convince others of our way of thinking.  But even in debate there is margin for an exchange, a space for differences to be placed side by side.  But I hear a lot of conversations that are not conversations.  They are layers of monologues.

And yes, many of these monologues are mine.

Everyone has played Tic Tac Toe.  One person fills in a box then the other.  One X, then O.  If you get three in a row you win.  You put in your mark.  I put in mine. Back and forth, each of us branding the box until someone wins or no one does.

I have read that the more expert the players are the more likely that the game ends in a tie.  There is no winner, they just fill the boxes.  It is a zero sum game.  It is an exercise in calligraphy.

And this is what I have been witnessing.  Tic Tac Toe conversations.  Some people come to the conversation with all of their boxes filled in.  “Here is how it is.  I win.”  Or they start by filling in all of your boxes.  “You obviously feel this way.  I don’t need to hear your perspective.”

But more often it is the back and forth, without crossing through lines, just fill in my mark, fill in yours, try to strategize so that the other person has to concede.  And if both are really good in the strategy, there is no winner.  Just more letters sacrificed.

In Tic Tac Toe we are limited to what we can put in our box.  We are an X or an O.  (Right now some of you are thinking of what your favorite is.)  The rules of the game say we must remain X or O, and defend our space with our mark until the game is over.

But it Tic Tac Toe is a simple game and we are better than that.  We are not just X or O or any one element.  We are humans capable of imagination and empathy and complex ideas, including examining the complex ideas we have not considered.  When we are at our best we are curious, questioning, learning. 

Look at children, sometimes the truest representative of our best nature.  Yes, they can be selfish and petulant and ignorant.  But their nature is to explore, to learn what the world has to offer, what people have to offer.  It is how they grow.

But we adopt ideas and positions and after a long time of this we label ourselves.  We are ‘O’.  We agree with other people who are ‘O’, and that is the truth.  But in fact, if some authority came to you and said you that you must always mark your box with an ‘O’ you would rebel.  “I cannot be defined by a letter.  I am more complex than that.  I am the sum of a lifetime of experiences.  Within me is the potential to be an infinite string of letters.” 

We are more than just X or O.  We are not merely a certain religious denomination or an ethnicity.  We are not only a political party or an alumnus of a school.  We are not just citizens under a flag.  We may be all of those things and many more, but that’s not all we are capable of.

This essay is not an idealist’s plea for peace.  I am not suggesting that beliefs be set aside or positions be abandoned.  I am saying we are better than just trading monologues so we can go back to the others of our tribe and say we defended ‘O’ with pride.   We are strong enough to take the risk required to actually listen to others, and to be able to share our thoughts without justifying them only by victory.

Nine boxes cannot contain all we have to say, or all we have to learn. 


Hope this finds you outside the box,

David



Copyright © 2016 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment