February
6, 2017
Greetings
from the lessor,
For
more than a decade I was a landlord. There
is a sliver of perspective where this sounds regal and important like you are
the master of property, a baron of sorts.
The reality was something more mundane and far grittier.
My
free time was mostly consumed with attending to the crumbling architecture of
my domain.
Many
months I was essentially working for my tenants. Repairing and maintaining the places they
lived in turn for the promise of rent that would be paid. Often the promise was more significant than
the reality.
It
was called ‘Roosevelt’. That sounds
important too, but that was merely the street it was on and so that was how I
referred to it. As in: “I can’t meet you
at the beach today because I’m working at Roosevelt.”
It
was a large house that had been converted to a three apartment unit. When I bought it there seemed great potential,
which for all I know still remains untapped.
It was a clapboard house painted a deep red, trimmed in white. It had a rickety outside staircase up to the
second floor, which was usually clogged with abandoned bicycles and for a while
a hibachi/birdfeeder.
The
backyard was grass and dirt, which I mowed weekly using a reel push mower. This produced as much dust as it did grass
clippings, which in my view was a blessing.
The
tenants upstairs rotated in and out, the low rent attracting people from an
income strata that included a variety of students, unemployable dishwashers,
newly divorced, previously incarcerated.
They all had stories, some more interesting than others. I usually heard the stories as I stood in the
doorway trying to collect last month’s rent.
On
the main floor lived Mrs. Persails, who had lived there for several years, and
I had inherited her when I bought the house.
She was in her sixties, a tiny woman surrounded by her collections of tchotchke,
too ensconced to consider uprooting just because a new landlord had appeared. She was like many people who rented from me
over the years; mildly tolerant of me, polite but not friendly, visibly resentful
once a month. While she never said the
words, I felt the message when she handed me the envelope with her rent; that I
was the oppressor, and she, the helpless widower, was the victim.
Mrs.
Persails called me regularly to fix things.
A stuck window, a faulty switch, a stubborn toilet. I would putter around in her apartment, absorbing
the smell of fried food, mothballs and potpourri. She always seemed to take a degree of
satisfaction in seeing me work for her. And then one day she called to say there was
no hot water.
The
basement was like every house I owned in the city; dusty, musty and damp,
cluttered with the junk that the last owner or tenant had left behind. I walked down the steps, carrying my toolbox,
and pulled the string for the light, and while my eyes adjusted I heard a noise
behind me.
There,
under the steps, was a man. He was lying
on a narrow mattress piled with a few blankets. At his feet was a bag, which I
could tell at a glance was his possessions.
His shoes were lined up on the floor next to him.
He
sat up and looked at me, a little startled, wavering between outrage and fear. When I got close enough to smell him, I knew
he wasn’t sleeping in the middle of the afternoon because he worked the night
shift. Whatever he had been drinking was
leaking through his pores and overpowering the odor of mildew surrounding us.
“What
are you doing here?” I asked, the only thing I could think of. As a reply of sorts, he asked me the same
question. After all, it appeared I was
in his bedroom, and it would seem he had a right to know. It unfolded that he was renting the space from
Mrs. Persails. Evidently the appeal of
earning income from a crumbling domain was not lost on her, in spite of her
indignation toward the position.
It
was not the most desperate tableau I have encountered, but it was on the
list. Whatever circumstances this man
left to live under the basement stairs in Roosevelt had to have been ugly. And I was going to send him back to it, or
whatever else he could find.
In
the hours that followed I negotiated a time that the man would have to leave. I explained to Mrs. Persails the fundamentals
of her lease, which indirectly indicated she could not invite transients to
bunk in the basement. In the end, not
one of the three of us was happy. I
fixed the hot water heater. That would count as the one redeeming element of
that day.
It
was not a defining moment, but it was one of many that ultimately led me to
understand I was not cut from sturdy enough fabric to be a landlord. Over the years I became smarter, and more
callous, but no more successful. There
were as many funny stories as tragic, just like any other chunk of life, but I eventually
learned that there were better ways for me to spend a day off than unclogging
someone else’s sink.
Like
unclogging my own sink. Or going to the
beach.
Hope
this finds you changing scenery,
David
Copyright
© 2017 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment