January
2, 2017
Greetings
from the explorer,
When
we learn to tie our shoes it is a challenge.
It is foreign and frustrating and it requires concentration and effort
to master. And then with practice we
become expert to a point where we devote little to no thought or energy in the
execution.
Human
beings create habits, the body and mind acting semi-autonomously on our behalf,
so that we can concentrate on other things.
It is a survival function that we have adapted to such a degree that it
can jeopardize our survival.
Because
what gets sacrificed in this process is a small thing, that has hidden in it, a
big thing.
Before
I go on I’ll remind you here that I am a great proponent in creating habits
that add value to our lives, which support the behavior we want most in our
everyday living. But what happens for
all of us is that we refine our lives with habits, master the mundane with
habits, and then our habits master us. It
sounds disturbing, but what is the real loss?
Discovery.
I
sifted through a mass of words looking for what I was feeling this morning,
perched on the edge of another new year, and this word held on. Discovery.
We
advance through life looking for ways to make things easier, more efficient,
safer and consistent and predictable. Presumably
so we can continue to explore, unfettered by distractions like learning to tie
our shoes every morning. Enter inertia.
It
may be age, or it may be the accumulation of habit, it may be the ‘groove’ we seek
that becomes the rut we dig. However it
comes, it is what narrows our lives and keeps us from the fullness that is just
on the other side of discovery.
To
find new worlds you have to believe and then you have to act, to seek. This takes a little courage since there is
risk involved. The little prick of fear
you feel before you take your first piano lesson, or when you put on a pair of
skis for the first run, is the leading edge of discovery. It is what stops most of us.
I
am aware of my own limitations as I write this, and along with fear I will add
impatience. If I seek to discover the beauty
in nature, I can’t run through it with my eye on my watch. If I seek to discover my neighbor, I can’t
accept a wave as I drive by. I have to
devote time and patience.
We
can start with ourselves. We can ask of
ourselves what we would challenge our children with when we first sit them down
looking at their laces. Do this, take
this chance, and feel the thrill of not knowing, and then knowing. Learn, read, sing, explore, change things,
rattle around in our head until something shakes loose. Seek the talent, the beauty, the gift that
waits within us. Sound too vague?
Start
with asking: where are you when you are at your best? What talents, what strengths do you bring to
that moment? Who are you with? What is
it that you feel? In that moment of
richness, smiling, eyes shining, happy, courageous, you could do what you’ve been
dreaming of. You can ask the girl of
your dreams, you can learn a language, you can play chess, you can do
yoga. Because your spirit is bigger than
the fear that blocks you from discovery.
So
begin with finding how you can be your best self, and then ask what you would
do next if you knew you could not fail.
This is you in full fledge discovery mode.
And
there is this: the reason we stop meeting new people, and the associated
resistance to new ideas, has its roots in this same fear we feel approaching
all discovery. We are not confident in
ourselves (yet) and so we do not risk discovery of others. Plus it’s far easier to talk about how
different other people are than seek for ourselves to see what is behind that
difference. That is what lies behind
almost every headline you read about the divisiveness of the last year. We are the solution to that which divides
us. Discovery.
You
might think that all of the world has been discovered, that there are not new
frontiers left for us to explore. But
every day, including this second day of 2017, holds mystery and new ideas, new
challenges and new perspectives. Every
day we wake up we have in us undiscovered talent, beauty, genius, waiting to be
uncovered. Some small actions, like
making a bow from a cotton lace, some large, like listening to the person you
were sure is wrong. Often it just starts with a question like; “….what if…?”
“The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but
in having new eyes.”
Marcel Proust
Hope
this finds you seeking,
David
Copyright
© 2017 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment