Monday, January 30, 2017

Phoenix marathon



January 30, 2017

Greetings from the next step,

The first thing I noticed was that it was dark.  You might pause here to be amazed at my astute sense of observation.  Given that it was an hour before sunrise, your assessment of my perception may perhaps decline a fraction.

I was on the edge of a town named ‘Surprise’.  The three people I asked said they didn’t know the origin of the name, and so we are left to discover it.  What lay before me was the desert, and the light from the stars was not challenged by civilization.  It is not the same dark to which I am accustomed.

The other thing I noticed was that was cold.  Considering that I am from the Mitten state, this should not have been remarkable.  Except I had flown to Arizona expecting some relief from the winter temperature.  Instead it came with me.  I stood shivering, a few degrees above freezing, socks on my hands to keep my fingers warm.

I was told by a few runners around me that the sun would be up soon and that would change the two notable facets of the morning.  I had full faith that they were speaking with veracity because runners only stretch the truth about conditions after the fact, not before.  Plus common sense gave me hope; the day before the sun had come up and it got warmer and lighter.  So I had that going for me.

I was in a small knot of runners which would make up the population of the Desert Classic Marathon.  We were all dressed like homeless people; wearing multiple layers of disposable clothing, some with garbage bags pulled over to protect them from the wind.  I couldn’t count them in the dark but I think we could have all fit in a large elevator.

The race director gave us a few words of encouragement, and promised the sun would come up.  Race directors never lie, except when describing the elevation of the race course, so I was encouraged.  With that, we were sent off into the dark.

My legs were cold in the morning air but I could feel them warming to the work.  The first several miles were an uphill grade, (‘Gentle’ is how I think the race director described it, which is more befitting the reputation of their ilk and less befitting the facts) and I felt myself panting harder than I should have been for my pace.  I would not say I was gently panting.

Behind me the horizon turned blue.  The dark shapes to the south became defined, textured with rock and scrub, the contours of the mountains slowly revealed in the first light.  And finally the sun crested the desert and chased us west.  The sun lit up the reflectors lining the road, nearly blinding me.

It was a small race into an empty stretch of road that split the desert.   No bands, no spectators, no cheering fans.  I spoke to a few runners along the way as we settled into our pace, and then I was alone with the road.  I turned on my music after a few miles and dug into the run.

Now I could see the land around me.  Mostly bare, some small leafless shrubs lining the edges of the ditch.  Barbed wire was strung along most of the road, and occasionally there was a sign warning us to watch for animals crossing.  I watched.  Whatever was going to get past the fence was getting my respect. 

A few cars honked support as they went by.  I saw a family stop and jump out to cheer a runner behind me, and I was included by proximity.  By now I had crested the grade and was given the gift of six miles of downhill.  Since we were coming back this way, the gift would be rescinded.  I glided toward the halfway point, my legs confused with the change in grade.  My mind wandered back in the week.
                                                                                                                     
A few days earlier I had gone on an impromptu hike up Piestewa Peak trail.  I am glad I had been short on time, because that was a built in reason to stop climbing after half an hour.  I sat on a rock, more winded than I should have been, and considered the challenge of going back down.

Even at that point in the hike, the view was beautiful.  Just high enough from the base to feel the change in the horizon, able to see back over the city of Phoenix and to the mountains beyond.

The thing that came back to me on Saturday as I ran along was this; I was so careful minding my step on that hike, rightfully concerned that a mistake could send me pinwheeling over a rocky edge, that I hardly saw the beauty around me.  It was only when I would stop to catch my breath and look around, that the grandeur of the world came rushing at me.

It’s an excellent lesson.  I relaxed, a little, stretched my arms above me, and looked around.  I gobbled up the miles, grabbing water from a lonely volunteer every few miles, and felt my body settle into its groove.  The sun warmed me now, reminded me that race directors sometimes tell the truth. 

To the west a range of mountains rose up, snow covered, rimmed with a belt of fog.  Beautiful as they were, I hoped we were not running to them.  On either side of the road I could see hundreds of Saguaro cactus.  They stood with arms out, cheering me as I went by.  I said ‘thank you’ out loud. 

To the south of me were the White Tank mountains, rippling with stone muscle.  I could see more cactus and scrub lining the sides now, the shadows as bold as what made them.  The sun buttered the mountains in gold.

I turned back to the east fought my way back up to the crest, passed by one runner, a crazy-happy man who said: “What a beautiful day.” as he cruised by me.  He was right.  I did my best to follow his lead, even as he disappeared along the ribbon leading us back to Surprise.

A phalanx of cyclists went by, silent, a relentless human arrow, launched from beyond where I could see, aimed at a place I would not see. I waved and a few of the riders nodded as they passed, acknowledging our brotherhood out there.

I was relaxed, my pace my own, and as I made my way over the peak again and down the other side, I smiled into the day.  Friends and family floated in and out, giving me words of encouragement.  The miles rolled by almost unnoticed.  I was too busy looking at what the sun had to show me.

The last mile was over without me begging for it, and then the finish line appeared.  It was the same place I had left, but it was different now.  Not just because of the sun or the light, but because we had all been changed by the hours that passed.  The lesson I took from Piestewa out into the desert served me well, because I got to choose how I filled those hours.

Hope this finds you looking,

David



Copyright © 2017 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment