Monday, September 26, 2016

Plastic Money



September 26, 2016

Greetings from the legal tender,

On a recent trip to a foreign country I discovered something exciting.

If I had started this morning’s essay by reminding you that today was the 56th anniversary of the Nixon-Kennedy debate, then I might be tempted to talk about another less relevant debate.  Or if I had mentioned that on this day in 1969 one of the most powerful events in our country’s history took place, you’d say “Oh that’s right! I remember where I was!!  It was the premier of the ‘The Brady Bunch’.”  In either case, half of you would have already stopped reading.

But exciting news from a foreign place?  Stop the presses.

Whenever I travel internationally I like to look for interesting highlights to spice up my pretentious dinner conversations when I return home.  It might be the natural beauty, or the friendly people, or the fine cuisine or the excellent coffee.

As it happens I was travelling to Canada, so we all know we won’t be going on and on about the coffee.  Yes Canada is an international destination for me, even though I can drive there.  I still had to wait in line to show my passport so it counts. 

Canada has a great deal to offer the raconteur who is desperately trying to impress his fellow dinner guests, and I made copious notes about the beautiful lakes, the lilting accents, the French influences, and of course Canada’s contribution to the gastronomic world, ‘poutine’.

But what I came home with, literally, was something else.  Plastic currency.

Canadian currency has always been different.  Anyone who has bought anything in Canada and been given a few hundred dollars in coins as change knows what I mean.  And then try to figure out what a ‘Loonie’ is worth; it’s like a national secret.  Plus the country was famous for its colorful bills, which, compared to the money in the U.S. were works of art.  (I have been told on good authority that the reason for the colorful currency was so it was easy to tell the denominations apart in dark places like the Windsor Ballet.  Whatever that is.)

These new polymer bills feel very similar to traditional money but are made of a longer lasting plastic. The construction allows the treasury to include all kinds of security features to prevent counterfeiting.  The plastic bills feature former Prime Ministers printed on them, or as one American (to whom I may be married to) described them: ‘ugly guys.’  They also have clear ‘windows’ in them to make them even harder to replicate. 

The technology is cool, and the money is interesting and different from the ordinary greenbacks we are accustomed to on this side of the border.  What’s exciting is the potential.  As most of my lithographic audience knows, modern print-on-demand technology allows fast customizing of mass quantities of virtually anything.   Even polymer currency. 

Imagine the possibilities.  The US Treasury could sell ad space on our currency, probably make enough to pay off our national debt.  ‘This dollar brought to you by ‘Dollar General Dollar Stores’’  Perhaps some faith organizations would want to feature an ad under ‘In God We Trust’.  That would make it a true religious denomination.

Politicians might want to plagiarize ‘The Buck Stops Here’ or ‘A vote for me means more money in your pocket, and I don’t mean a bribe or anything related to Pork Barrel influence.’ 

Imagine if your grandma wanted to put a five dollar bill in your birthday card, and she could imprint a personalized message.  ‘Happy Birthday’ she might write.  ‘Don’t spend this at the Windsor Ballet.’(Whatever that is.)

It’s impressive to me that Canada has already leapt ahead of the U.S. in polymer currency.  The RCMP reports that counterfeiting is down by 74% in Canada.  Which I think translates to 150 Loonies.  Certainly there is a need for that in the U.S., not to mention that every dollar could be bringing in revenue to pay off all the Yuan we owe. 

Once again I have the Canadians to thank for scintillating dinner repartee.  I can’t wait to impress my fellow diners with fascinating anecdotes about modern money.  Oh the hours of conversation that will inspire.

By the way, the opening sequence of the Brady Bunch featured all the cast members on a tiled screen seeming to look at each other, while the theme song played.  Remember?  This was called ‘multi dynamic image technique’.  It was invented by Christopher Chapman, who was from Ontario, Canada.  Same place you can get polymer bills, poutine and the Windsor Ballet.  (Whatever that is.)

Well, it beats talking about the debates.


Hope this finds you feeling loonie,


David

No comments:

Post a Comment