October
3, 2016
Greetings
from the canvas,
The
sun was just on the verge of challenging the morning. There was barely a hint in the east, just
enough light to show the shape of the road.
The world was quiet, giving Sunday a gentle nudge, not yet time to wake,
but soon.
I
am warming up, running west, not really seeing the miles ahead of me yet, still
deciding how my legs felt. I am focused
on the wet pavement, the sound of my shoes, the rasp of my breath, when the
road in front of me disappeared. Or had
yet to appear.
It
is so sudden I nearly stop. I smile at
myself, alone in the middle of the road, wishing there was someone I could turn
to and say: “Can you see that?” A solid
wall of fog surrounds me. I raise my
eyes and could see the sky exists, hammered steel above me, barely visible in
the false dawn. But the road, the world
I might reach, my horizon, is only flinty gauze.
I
run on, and the road inches in front of me, one step ahead, becoming real a
yard at a time. A bush at a time. A corn stalk.
A tree. A tractor, maybe red in
daylight, but not yet.
A
thought flits through the fog in my mind; what was his name? That guy with the afro, quiet voice, on
PBS. Taught us to paint on TV. What was it?
A dog barks a suggestion. No,
that’s not it.
I
know there people living on both sides of the road here, but I only see where I
would fill in a house shape. I run over the tracks, wet strips of steel only
created as far as the curve in each direction and then are only potential. No train can pass through until they exist.
My
mind wanders, listening to the birds in invisible trees, wondering what gets
them up before the sun. They are asking
themselves the same thing about me. My
legs, loyal companions, wonder too. I
can feel the miles in them. My mind is
remembering a quote, but not the man’s name.
Bob. That’s it.
Bob Ross.
I
can see more of the dome above me, light seeping into the October sky. Dark grey shapes, some fading to flannel now,
being lined with a purple tinge. The
tips of the trees appear, no trunks to support them. It is too dim to see color so they seem to be
taupe clouds that have been tethered somehow, pulled into the dull white below.
The
trees gave way to farmland, and the road under my feet dissolves from tarmac to
damp dirt. It is not as cool as I expected. I am already sweating. A mile in the distance there are unfinished pencil
sketches of high tension towers. Line
drawings that looked like robot monsters from a 60’s science fiction movie,
marching off to the north, their arms out.
I can’t see their mechanical legs, not yet created below their massive
frames.
Bob
Ross. I thought of that tender, soft
spoken teacher, showing us how to paint.
“Let’s put a little azure here, and then we’ll come in here and just put
a hint of grey again to give it depth.”
The
world is being painted in as I move west.
The trees are taking shape now, stretching down to meet where their
trunks would be drawn in, outlined in grey and filled in with umber and
moss. The sky, which seemed complete
before, needed more color. It is bruised
now with periwinkle and plum.
The
blank canvas is changing too. From the
cool grey to warm white, spreading across the middle of the tableau, wrapping
around me, spreading across the soft outlines of the world still forming.
I
see kangaroos leaping up out of the fog, springing out of the last of the corn
and then gone. That can’t be right, start over. They are deer. Three white-tails
disappear into the canvas and reappear in profile, drawn in sepia tones on the
dun colored road running ahead of me.
Let’s just put a few spots on the back of the fawn.
There
is blue between the clouds now. Geese
punctuate the sky, drawing a comma as they move to the west, calling consonant recommendations. Behind them three more form an ellipse, as if
to suggest there will be others to follow.
I
am damp from the mist, the morning clinging to me, painting my shirt a darker
shade against my body. East now, running
up a small hill. Now, draw the lines
showing the edges of the road angled closer together, give some
perspective. See how it adds distance,
depth to the picture. Now make these
trees a little smaller, as if they were miles away. Add a little titanium white behind the trees,
happy clouds just on the edge of the canvas. There.
Now
let’s just come in here and mix a little rose and peach up here along the edge
of the clouds, right where we see the sunlight lifting the color just a bit. We’re
just going to use the edge of our brush here, see just lightly tap the cameo
color into the white.
Now
the day takes shape, owns more of the canvas, only the creases of the world
around me hold any of the blank space. Color
fills in on the trees, mostly green but someone has specked a few with orange
and red.
“You
are the master of the canvas,” Bob Ross said, “All you have to do is believe
what you want to see.” Funny how that
stayed with me.
The
sun fills in all of the pale places, adding green to the grass, putting shadow
along the far side of trees and rocks.
The morning is becoming something else, created in front of me, right there
for me to see each color of the day in its origin. It’s fullest, richest moments, still wet from
creation.
It
isn’t until I get home, trudging up my driveway, that I realize how easy it is
to not see the beauty once the colors dry.
Once they become ordinary and common and easy to take for granted. I turned back for a moment and looked to
where the mist had been, where only an hour before the world had not yet been
painted in. Easier to appreciate when
you know the difference.
Hope
this finds you making it real,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment