Monday, September 19, 2016

Empty Calories


September 19, 2016

Greetings from the expert,

I have a passing knowledge on the subject of nutrition.  That does not mean that if I took a test on nutrition that I have enough knowledge to pass it.  It means that if I was passing by someone who was taking a test on nutrition, I would know it.  Probably.

Regardless, I do know about empty calories.  These are derived from food containing little or no nutritional value.  For example, if you eat a chocolate chip cookie you get some really tasty calories, but they don’t contribute much to what your body needs to operate. 

As an athlete I have a vested interest in adding the right fuel to my system.  I know from experience that if I ignore the nutritional requirements of running ten or twenty miles that I will pay a price.  I know; it sounds so grown up and serious. 

So here’s a big surprise: I like chocolate chip cookies.  I like Moose Tracks ice cream. I will not resist dark chocolate, or Garden of Eatin’ Red Hot Blue Chips.  I happen to think that life without empty calories would be….empty.

And here is another idea that won’t surprise anyone who has been reading these essays longer than a couple weeks: I am not what the average person would describe as a mental giant.  I would not even say I have a nodding acquaintance with genius. 

The truth is I like to think I am a mature grown up person, but if were possible to track what I think of on a daily basis, you could prove otherwise.  Not far into my subconscious is a ten year old boy waiting to get his way.

I enjoy a challenging conversation about politics, or a new philosophical perspective about the purpose of life, or any number of issues that require the harnessing of advanced thinking.

But I am also a big fan of Monty Python.  If you want to sit across the table and swap Python quotes with me, or anything from ‘Napoleon Dynamite’, I’ll join in.  Want to trade bad puns or tell jokes with bad Scottish accents I’ll out-laugh anyone in the room.   You know, with that obnoxious pre-adolescent, slightly too loud horselaugh that makes people ‘shush’ you at the library.  Or at dinner.  Or at the funeral.

I love finding an author who has original ideas and has found the voice to share the colors and textures and nuances of whatever the subject may be.   I enjoy being inspired by a writer who knows how to put you in the room with her characters, and make you care about them.   And I like Elmore Leonard and Dave Barry.  And Mad Magazine.

In almost every aspect of my life there is something that amounts to cotton candy.   Sometimes they are guilty pleasures, but usually I don’t feel the guilt as much as sneer at it.

Like most adults I dedicate myself to the things that are best for me, that align with the things I think and feel are important to my long term health and well-being.  I want the rich satisfying life that is often on the other side of good choices.  But…

Not every book has to lead to wisdom.  Not every mile has to produce greater stamina.  Not every conversation has to lead to a broadened awareness.  Some moments are filled with nothing but air.  Some thoughts are daydreams about being superhero.  Sometimes you get down to do a push up and end up playing with the dog.  Or taking a nap.

The challenge for all of us grown ups is when to stop taking ourselves seriously.  Don’t justify swinging on the swingset by talking about fitness, or pretend that watching that dog video on Facebook is research.  Just remember what Ben Franklin said about moderation in all things.  Including moderation.

Allow me to pass on my passing knowledge of psychology.  When you take yourself too seriously you release toxins into your bloodstream which can cause a henway.   What’s a henway?  Usually about 5 pounds.

Give yourself a break.  There will always be plenty of days to do only the responsible thing.  ‘Carpe diem’ means the whole day, including the fluff that makes things fun.  After all, if God didn’t want us to have empty calories He would not have made Cinnabon smell so good. 

Hope this finds you playing,

David



Copyright © 2016 David Smith

1 comment:

  1. I haven't commented here in a long time, though I've continued to enjoy and share these posts with others. But, this was exactly what I needed - LOVE IT! Too much seriousness takes away from just "being" and enjoying the moment. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete