August
1, 2016
Greetings
from this row,
I have been
here all of my life. I can’t imagine
being somewhere else, it would not be right, this is where I am meant to
be. My family is close around me, some
close enough to touch. We are deeply
rooted here, it is where we belong.
Those that I
know best, those I care about, expect me to be here with them, and they rely on
me. We grew up together. I have never imagined any other life.
Until this
morning.
Every day the
sun rises and arcs over us, shares its magic with us and we keep it, store it
up, knowing that darkness will follow.
And then the sun returns and we turn toward it. It is a rich place, a good life.
I don’t know
any different way; I have only a little contrast to compare it to. The days have grown longer, the air has
become warmer. But otherwise it has been
as it always has been. A few of us have
withered in the heat but the evenings have been cool and we are refreshed by
the dew and are rested by the stars.
I have always
felt content. This morning we have all
been restored, after a soaking rain passed through during the night. I felt strong; we had all been waiting for
the rain. The morning sky was still
filled with swollen clouds, and we all looked up to watch the grey-etched canvas
roll over us.
We whispered
to one another, grateful for this. All
we are given, sun and rain, we keep with us and grow from it. It was
a good morning, and I could feel the life in me, feel the future.
And then I saw
him. He is not like the other animals
we’ve seen. Not like the small ones that
forage at our feet, or the larger ones that hide among us. He moves on the road in front of me, alone
but confident, free from fear. I can
tell he is not fleeing from something, sense the purpose and the power in his
movement.
There is a grace
in him; not like the swaying of the oak.
He is not moved by the elements but instead commands them. His limbs seem to push the air, to propel the
road under him, spinning the earth under all of us.
He is King of
the World.
I know in a
moment that he has seen everything. I
know from the way he moves that he can go anywhere, breach any horizon. He is brown from the sun and wet from the
rain and neither matter to him; it does not make him or stop him. Wherever he is going it is because he chose
it.
He pushes into
the light around us, making his own color, bringing his own sound and smell, creating
a rhythm from nothing with each step as he moves by.
I feel life
surge in me as he goes by, feel something quicken. It is foreign and unnatural and frightening
and it is irresistible. I know my place
and yet suddenly that cannot be enough, cannot be all I was made for. We only move if the wind offers us that
chance, and that has been all we could hope for. Until now when I see him run past us.
He is there
but for a minute, muscles churning, animal and more than animal. His legs reaching out onto the pavement,
devouring the world in front of him, each step is an extension of his will over
his kingdom. Going and going and going
wherever he would be next. And then he
is gone and there is only the same scene I have always known. This grey rectangle of road and beyond it
more rows of green and gold. My horizon.
I am connected
to all of us, feel that through the soil, the shared life we have. I know from the others who watch him run that
his direction is not limited; he is still moving now as I think these
thoughts. He is far from here, still
running, moving past others of us. I
feel their desire too. They are green
with envy. We sigh in the wind.
The smaller
ones in the shadows, yellow-green and supple, still pushing up to feel the sun,
are baptized by the last drops of the night’s rain. I feel them reaching up. I know have to help them, to show them what
is their future, show them how to grow tall and strong. It is my place. My truth.
But even as I think
this I know the other truth. I strain at
my roots, leaning from side to side, gently rocking, moving, pretending that
the breeze is not behind my freedom. Those
behind me who had not seen him are curious what is happening, sensing
something, too polite in our close company to ask.
I feel
something give way, the earth around me crumble slightly as I stretch toward a
new horizon. I sway back and lean into
my future, and for a thrilling moment I feel weightless and boundless. For
this infinite second I feel the power that he feels. In this tiny motion I am free, and I know the
beauty in it and the terror in it. I am
alive and I am more than alive, I am moving, I am running and I am King of the
World.
Hope
this finds you growing,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment