July
25, 2016
Greetings
from the start,
In
every morning there is a promise. Some
days it is easy to miss or ignore because it seems to fade, dissolve in the events
that fill every moment from first light.
This
week I spent with my family away from the world, nested on our own little slice
of beach facing the eastern horizon. Each
morning, armed with a mug of coffee, I waited for the sunrise. It was impossible to miss what we are
promised every day.
There
is a moment just before the sun comes up on the water; the sky is changing from
navy to rose to pale blue. The horizon
holds the deepest color, a dramatic introduction to what comes next. Reddish orange and pink, shimmering on the
dark blue water, rich in texture and color, filled with the potential of the
day. In that moment there is the
promise, and there is a question.
For
a few days we lived like we meant it. Eating
too much, sleeping too much, laughing too loud, talking about anything, playing
like we were three year old kids at the beach. It takes a little time for me to decompress
from my routine to the natural state that exists in this kind of
environment. I felt some of the change
as the sun smooched my skin, as I exchanged time for reading, or when I woke
from an unplanned nap.
And
there was this other thing. Each day I
would find myself in conversations with family and someone would ask a question. Might seem innocuous enough, a normal part of
everyday life. Except when I am in ‘problem solving’ mode, every question is a nail to which
I must apply my hammer. I am in this mode
most of my waking hours, and yet it is not really my natural state.
But over a few
days I came to relax enough to understand that not every question is a search
for information, it is not always something to be conquered to a desired
outcome. Sometimes it is a starting
place for conversation, for searching.
“How far do
you think it is to Canada across the water?”
“I wonder how many people live here year round?” “What do you suppose those birds are?” “How long do you think we should cook this
pizza?” “Do you think sandbars move?” “How
many bottle caps do you think are in this cup?”
My instinct,
and yours probably, is to figure out the answer. The right answer. This may take some deduction, or research, or
to call on one’s education or seek information from others.
In fact, the
questions usually served as a place to seek out one another, the answers were
not as important as the exchange, the launching of ideas and opinions. The question served as a medium for us to
explore; each other and ourselves.
Some
questions, as you can imagine, did not lead to great philosophical discussions. I will also admit that not every conversation
held any effort to answer the question or pursue any lofty end beyond passing a
few minutes while waiting for the pizza to burn. But there was still the lesson to be learned.
I
enjoyed these few days of water and sand.
With no urgent moments, nothing more important to seek than the cool
side of the pillow. I felt some of the
knots relax in me, in each moment of sun, each crash of waves on the beach,
each paddle of the kayak across the lake. I felt closer to peace with every question
that brought laughter instead of a right answer. I felt closest to my best self watching the
sun begin our day at the horizon.
The
promise of every day is made by the One who knows us. It is the potential for us in every breath
and each beat of our heart. It is the
hope in each sunrise, the symbol of a new start, another chance, a place to
begin with a clear slate.
And
just before it is given to us, just before the sun pours into the coral colored
line along the rippling water-horizon, there is a question for us to hear. Not a question that must be conquered with a
check in a box or a list or a black and white answer. But a place to explore us.
What
is the best you have to share with this day?
Hope
this finds you answering,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment