Monday, August 22, 2016

I Crim for Flint



August 22, 2016

Greetings from the group,

This week I realized that running might save the world. See, now you have to read this.

The city I grew up in began as a cluster of homes around a sawmill, where the first few pioneers huddled for survival. Through the generations it has grown and changed, and the people here traded furs for lumber for carriages for cars.  Like any city of its size it formed neighborhoods, little enclaves of this people or that.  Here are Polish families, here are the transplants from Kentucky, and this neighborhood attracted Hispanics, here where a few Scottish immigrants gathered.  Invisible lines, most of which I never knew existed, formed around neighborhoods of different ethnic and racial roots. 

These enclaves become sanctuaries, places of community.  People of like interests and traditions and histories clustered together for comfort and safety and familiarity.  And then sometimes they became something else; factions form within boundaries, resentment is raised up, seasoned with prejudice and fear and ignorance.  And sometimes the little villages within the big city became isolated from each other.

It is true with most cities, and probably with any size group of people.  They come together in smaller groups for the intimacy and support and it can lead to exclusion and isolation.  The problems that arise are obvious.  The beauty and richness of diversity is overshadowed by something else.  Caring people in every generation have sought to push back that shadow and find ways to grow the places where our differences overlap in a stronger kinship.

This week I realized that running might save the world.  In Flint there is a ten mile race that started 40 years ago.  From very simple beginnings it has become a major sports event, a celebration of the human spirit, and a force for social change. 

The Crim Fitness Foundation has done enormous good in our area.  Raised huge amounts of money for Special Olympics and a host of other causes.  Created programs in the schools to get kids active, to educate them on healthy eating, on mindfulness, on living a balanced life.  The Crim training programs for adults who want to run or walk for fitness gathers thousands into its groups every year.

You have probably read about the water crisis in Flint, and the response from around the country has been amazing.  The Crim organization began a fundraising effort which they called ‘I Crim for Flint’. 


What I love about this phrase is how it describes something else.  It describes what running creates for us; another community.  What I was realized this week is that the Crim has created something to belong to that makes us better.  This race brings people out from their enclaves, out of their channels and clusters, away from what separates them to what makes them part of something bigger and more beautiful. 

‘I Crim for Flint’ says that when we join this community we stride forward a mile at a time toward saving the world.  If this sounds a little dramatic to you, it’s probably because you haven’t been at the starting line and seen the passion, the spirit, the joy that is shared by a group of people who are incredibly diverse, and yet part of one thing.

The Crim is first and forever a race.  It began as a ten mile challenge and grew to several different events to include athletes of all abilities and ambitions. The reason it all started, is still the Crim Festival of Races.  This Saturday more than 16,000 runners will crowd into the streets of our city and put themselves on the line for whatever drives them to be better.

When we lace up and show up we are together in a family that welcomes us without considering our heritage, our race or color or how we worship.  We are runners.  Where we come from matters, but it does not separate us, it just contributes to the story we tell in our community. 

This Saturday will mark 35 Crims for me.  The reasons I started have evolved into something different that keeps me running. I Crim to change for the better.  I Crim for fitness.  I Crim for the challenge.  I Crim for the feeling of satisfaction in pushing past my limits.  I Crim for fun.  I Crim to see my friends.  I Crim for the legacy it has provided my children. I Crim to be a part of a group of people who look at each other with acceptance and encouragement and caring.
I Crim for Flint.  I Crim to save the world.


Hope this finds you Crimming,

David



Copyright © 2016 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment