August
8, 2016
Greetings
from the phenomenon,
No,
it is not the Zombie Apocalypse. It’s
not an impromptu meeting of Ambien victims.
Not the start of a lethargic flash mob.
Not a poorly organized line for the mass transit the masses don’t use.
What
prompted these observations was the sight of a dozen strangers sleep-walking toward
a corner which featured, among nothing else, an empty lot. There was a subdued hysteria, which is what
hysteria is like when several people experience it once but are too shy to let
the others know.
Typically
I get involved with trendy things just as they are becoming obscure enough to
be anti trend, where cynical people only refer to them to be ironic. This can be confusing to me because of my
natural immunity to irony. I’m actually
irony-deficient. It’s really a thing; my
doctor recommended more spinach.
I
have made several attempts to get involved in whatever the latest craze is, if
for no other reason than to be able to understand what my kids are talking
about. It’s how I got all these pairs of
cargo shorts. I’m a cool Dad.
Which
brings me to Pokemon Go.
Before
we go any further, I am not writing today to criticize the game. I happen to know that it is the most popular
download in the world, and based on my estimates every person in the universe
is playing it except me and about 50 people in Rio who can’t get away from the
Free Style Coed Badminton/Greco Roman Ribbon Dancing long enough to play. So the last thing I want to do is alienate
all of humanity. Not to mention
Charizard, Jigglypuff or Squirtle.
I
am not going to pile on with other critics who rail about people looking at
their phones instead of the world, or talk about the car accidents, people
falling off cliffs or walking into poles or tumbling down stairs while chasing
Pokemons on their phone. I know that
people have used the game to lure players into dangerous situations.
With
all that, I think the game has incredible potential for good.
The
Pokemon Go game has moved some people from their chairs and out into the
world. It is a fascinating social
experiment. This global scavenger hunt
has done in just a few weeks what it would take somebody’s Dad a decade to
accomplish.
It
has created community, probably caused people to meet, it has challenged a few
souls to venture up out of the basement and out where the sun shines on Pikachu. It definitely has caused some people to move
that normally eschew such phenomenon.
One
of the elements of the game are locations called ‘Gyms’. It is interesting that these are often
situated at churches and libraries. I
know the reason for this but the potential is dizzying.
I
suppose a lot of the appeal of the game has to do with nostalgia, twenty-somethings
reliving the Nintendo game or competing with their Pokemon cards when they were
younger. And the game is simple, fun to play, and doesn’t
have to cost anything. So it’s
entertainment, simple enough.
But
I am excited to think that the same platform, the same idea could be a lever for
social change, for positive good. I
know, leave it to a guy who wears cargo shorts to try to take the fun out of
stuff and try to make it something practical or sensible. Sorry.
In
most every place I have been there are these corners. It is the place where you exit the highway,
or maybe a strip of median on a busy street.
The grass is stomped to extinction; the dirt there is littered with
cigarette butts and other trash. There
are signs stapled to the telephone pole that offer gun classes, cheap
mattresses, rewards for lost pets, garage sales from six weeks ago. This is where people stand to beg for
money. They hold their own signs telling
us they are homeless, or a mother, or a vet.
They say anything will help. Go
there.
There
are these buildings where old people are stored. Some are nicer than others, but they all have
an air of desperate loneliness. There is
a question on the lips of nearly all the residents; ‘When will they visit me?’ Go there.
There
are these shelters where people go when their last resort gave out. They are desperate, they want a future, they
want safety, they need a connection with some path other than the one that led
them to the last resort. Go there.
There
are these kids who could read but haven’t been read to. They are eager and bright and filled with
potential, and it is slowly ebbing out of them because there aren’t enough laps
to sit on, or enough teachers or books or parents who care or enough. Go there.
Pokemon
Go is a craze, and it will flare and pass.
It’s for fun, enjoy it. But
someone pay attention: when we want to move a hundred million people from their
chairs to an abandoned empty lot, it can be done. What else can we do? Is there an app for human compassion?
Hope
this finds you catching them all,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment