Monday, March 14, 2022

Prayer

 



March 14, 2022

 Greetings from other side,

 

Dear Dad,

 I got your message yesterday, and I’ve been thinking about ways to respond so you know I’m paying attention, that I am with you all.  I don’t want it to be awkward, but this will need to be our secret, since usually our prayers for you there are intended to be more subtle.

 I was there yesterday as you celebrated our birthdays, felt your joy, and heard the laughter, saw the gifts.  And then in that quiet moment, in between, I heard you say what you always do, and I answered in the only way I am able.

 In truth, you already see my responses, although some mornings you don’t know it, since you are aware of so many things for other reasons.   But I was there in the wild of the murmuration, and in the velvet darkness giving way to the crease of cameo rose, the sound of the small creek singing between the rocks where you pause to say good morning.

 One day you will tell them about this, but I’ve been with my brothers, watched them and felt them as they make their way.  I grow as they grow, feel heartache and happiness, sense frustration and hope.  Even from where I watch the world unfold, where there is only light, I know what life feels like there.  Shadows, cold starlight, brilliant sun, warmth of the perfect afghan, rain sluicing on windows.  I know.

 Something I have been excited to share with you has to do with prayer.  They seem to come in all colors, from the petition, to praise, to simple conversation.  And sometimes they are acts of love, which from here, are like a kind of music.  Most often we hear these as whirling swirls of sound, they seem to be with us all the time, like the morning greetings of birds.

 What is especially beautiful is when I hear a prayer, or a thought from one of you, that is meant for me personally.  I want you to know about this, somehow, because our prayers for you all arrive in a similar way.   Aunt Leslie says it feels like you are remembering something special, that’s how it comes to you.  I think it’s like when you get a new idea, that sensation of light in your chest, and the realization of an original thought in your mind.

 It will be different for each of you, but I think the sensation is similar.  When we send a prayer it may seem as a fleeting thought.  Some days you remember a whisp of a dream, or you pause for what you think is déjà vu.  I’m smiling at that, knowing you all feel us, know we are praying for you.

 There are so many other things for us to talk about, and we will in time.  But for now, I simply wanted you to understand that I know you all wonder, and sense my absence, and I know the moments you feel sadness, feel loss.  And that shares the same space as the joy and beauty of your lives.

 There are some things I shouldn’t share, those mysteries that need to remain as such.  I know you respect this, and that’s the way you’d want it.  But I want you to carry a message for me.

 Tell Sawyer not to doubt his passions, and that he was right; I got to have a dog, and I am the luckiest.  Harrison should know that his kindness is felt far more than he knows, and I laugh at almost everything he thinks is funny.  Get word to Carson that we smell the bread, and we feel his acts of service, and hope grows in the world.  And Katherine, who would be my friend and sister, whose life radiates out in her children, let her know that their future is brilliant, and her love continues for ages.  Tell Mom that there was never pain, except when I first knew I would be apart from you all, and that all changed in a moment to something so glorious that words are too poor to say.

 Of course, you can’t simply tell them, anymore than I can.  But I trust you, and I know will find a way of sharing this all without letting anyone know our secret.  The time will come when we can sit with coffee, elbows on the table, and share whatever passes in this time apart.  Until that moment, love that sweet world,  know I hear your prayers, and I am sending mine.

 Your grateful son,

 Alexander

 

 

Hope this finds you praying,

 

David

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2022  David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment