March
7, 2022
Greetings
from the blank,
When
I woke this morning, I left behind a cloud of words in the mist of sleep,
things I had been thinking of when I ended my day yesterday. I began
this morning aware of them, but not ready to invite any of them into my day. I make this choice every morning, and I think
you do too.
On
the desk next to me is my favorite mug. It
usually holds another of my favorites, coffee. It is almost always with me when I start each
morning. It is a diner’s mug, a simple,
beautiful design that fits my hands, keeps my coffee warm in the time I like to
take to drink it.
The
mug came to me from the inspired optimism of Bert and John Jacobs, who founded ‘Life
is Good’, a little company that makes t-shirts and stuff with silly and poignant
messages printed on them. I wrote that
sentence intentionally to understate the power of what they do, because I want
you to be curious about it.
On
one side of the mug is the caricature of a runner, a huge smile on his face, in
full stride over three words that seem to be holding him in the air: ‘Life is
Good’. This is Jake, who knows all my
morning thoughts.
I’ve
had this mug for more than fifteen years, and it has aged with me. It has darkened in some places, faded in
others. But I recognize it by touch in a
dark morning, as the first pot of coffee is brewing, and I am thinking about
how I will brand my day.
On
the other side of the mug are the words ‘Do what you like. Like what you do.’ It is a simple and complicated message. It suggests that when you have a choice, do
what brings you joy. And even when what you
are doing doesn’t seem like your first choice, find the joy in it, because it’s
there.
I’m
describing this to you intuitively, without looking at the mug. If you were sitting next to me, watching me
corral these words, you might glance at the mug and point out there is nothing
written there. Which is accurate, but
not the truth.
The
words have faded, worn thin from my touch, from being washed and used and lived
on. This morning I noticed it, knew it
without knowing it. I felt a touch of
sadness, paired with my smile, knowing the words will always be there. And that led me to write this.
Each
day we get to write our own message, the one we will hold and care about
today. It can be the one we wrote
yesterday, if it suited us, brought us joy.
Or it can be something else that will lead us to what we hope for.
Optimism
is not always a natural instinct, it must be practiced, chosen, instead of
giving in to what threatens to make us smaller.
I want to keep getting better at it, because there are powers in the
world that want me to change my mind.
The
cynics line up to tell me that this is a naïve perspective, that optimism doesn’t
lower gas prices, or put food in your stomach, or stop wars, or racism. And I hear an echo of truth in this harsh reality
because part of me is a cynic too. Just
not the part I choose to listen to.
Our
attitude will not fix politics or hate or greed. Being hopeful doesn’t cure the sickness,
doesn’t erase the mistakes, won’t put our precious earth in the condition we
found it. But at the heart of every solution,
of every step toward any ideal, there are people who are willing to see the
possible, to be hopeful. What follows is
far better than those who can only see the dark endings.
It's
lighter now, I have been watching these words form in front of me for a few
hours already. I like what they say, not
just because I wrote them, but because I need them to make this day the best it
can be, whatever else comes my way. I
had this blank place to make that possible, and I wrote what I hoped for.
And
some will write songs, and some will bathe babies, and some will spray words on
concrete, and some will speak out, and some will plant things, and some will help
a stranger, and some will pray, and some will give, and some will sit silently
while others weep, and some will dance in their kitchen, and some will say yes. And there is where it begins.
Choose
what words you will write on your blank space, and let’s go make this place
what it is meant to be.
Hope
this finds you writing what you want,
David
Copyright
© 2022 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment