November
15, 2021
Greetings
from the encomium,
We gather here
today to lay to rest a dear friend, one that has been nearly as close to me as
my own skin. A friend that has been with
me in good times and hard times, even in times of sickness, when I needed
comfort. It is a sad moment to mark the
passing, and an opportunity to reflect, and in some way, celebrate.
It's hard to
remember when we first came together.
You know how it is, having a presence in your day so intimate it seems
as if it was always a part of your life.
One day I was chilly, and I just naturally reached up to the shelf in my
closet and pulled it out, and it was there, as if it had always existed.
It was a grey
hoodie sweatshirt. There were strings on
the hood that I could pull tight if I wanted to look ridiculous, which I often
did. It had a Nike swoosh on it, but it
was far from athletic apparel. It was
cotton, but it was somehow more than the fiber content. This was a sweatshirt that was meant for greater
things.
I wore it when
I was going to take a nap on the couch, for example. In fact, it always had that ‘just-napped-in’
look. But it seemed natural, as if the
word ‘disheveled’ had been created for it.
I used the
sleeve to open things, or hold hot things, or wipe my runny nose. Pull it down over my hand and make it an
extension of me. It didn’t seem to
matter if it got dirty, or how it aged, which is a tribute to the color. Keep that in mind before you choose your next
sweatshirt.
It was a
longstanding part of the family. I hugged
my daughter Katherine, who said “Ew.
What is that smell? Is that your
sweatshirt? Dang it smells like old people.” That was more than a decade ago. I don’t know how long I’d had it by then, but
perhaps already too long. I tried
washing it more often but maybe the old people smell was already part of the
molecular structure. Which makes me
wonder if maybe it was me she was smelling.
I wore it when
I had a cold and needed something heavy to ward off a chill. I wore it when I was raking the yard, or if I
was crawling under a car, or under the house, or across the roof to clear the
leaves from the gutter. It was a multi-season
hoodie. I could wear it under my old
winter jacket, the hood up over my old knit hat, and go out and shovel
snow. I could wear it with my
raggedy-ass jean jacket, and even if I went to the hardware store it was ok,
because it sort of shot past the boundaries of style. It also paired nicely with my flannel pajama
pants.
In between wearings I wadded it neatly into a
ball and threw it on the floor of my closet.
Sometimes after it got washed, and I’m not sure what inspired that, I
would fold it and put it on the shelf with clothes of similar character. Those outcasts of fashion who were close
partners with me in my own style.
When I wore my
Nike hoodie it was the only time our dog Max would play with me. If he saw me wearing it, he would go into a little
crouch, his way of telling me: ‘It is on.’
I would roll on the floor and he would grab the cuff of the sleeve and
pull, thrashing his head back and forth.
Sometimes he
would push his head into my stomach and force his nose into the big kangaroo pocket
in the front. We would wrestle to a draw;
I would get up with dog hair all over my sweatshirt. And it was the only time I didn’t care.
Max is gone
now, like the Nike hoodie. That reminds
me of other things that have gone before; that one sock that finally
gave up on her lost partner. The running
shorts that went with me for hundreds of miles but were no longer
age-appropriate. That t-shirt that
claimed I was the world’s greatest at something. It suddenly seems unfair, that clothing of
lesser meaning should still be in my life.
This eulogy
could have been written the day we made a pile of clothes that were going to the
donation box. I instinctively reached
for the sweatshirt and tossed it there, trying not to overthink every piece of
clothing that has accumulated around me, like that one shirt that was too big
and too plaid, made me look like I was wearing hand-me-downs from some white
guy. (Editor’s note: I’m a white guy.)
(Editor’s note: I’m also the editor.)
I’ll miss my
friend. In fact that began as soon as it
left the house on the journey we cannot see.
What’s
reassuring is that I know that there is life after this life. After a stretch in purgatory on the hangers
at Goodwill that sweatshirt will be welcomed into its next existence. That gives me some solace, knowing that
someone else, perhaps in another dimension, or county, will have the heavy
cotton to layer on when it’s chilly. Or
use it for a runny nose or an oil leak or a smear of peanut butter on the wrong
part of a face.
Perhaps it seems
odd to wax sentimental about my old companion, something that seems so ordinary
and so replaceable. But it feels right to me to mark its passing into wherever
we are expected next. I like to think if
I care just that much about an old sweatshirt, it opens the door to other kindness,
which tends to flow both ways.
Hope
this finds you believing in the afterlife,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment