November
22, 2021
Greetings
from the table,
My
distant relatives are from here. They
lived in community with one another and with the nature that provided them
life. They raised families, worshipped a
Creator, loved one another, and didn’t ask for much more. It was a simple existence, nearly
primitive. It was not idyllic. There was violence and death, there was
starvation, children suffered, the eldest barely lived twoscore years. But it was how they had existed for countless
generations.
My
distant relatives are from some other place.
They arrived here after a harrowing journey across a hostile ocean, in ships
only slightly worthy of the trip. Some
were escaping oppression, or poverty, or prison, others were looking for a
change or a fresh start. They raised
families, worshipped a Creator, loved one another, hoped only for the chance to
create a better life. They brought with
them their hopes, beliefs, complex faiths, their own versions of violence, and some
novel diseases.
My
mother’s ancestors, clad in deerskin and carrying spears, met my father’s ancestors,
wearing heavy broadcloth and carrying muskets, and what happened after was not
as pretty as I have been told most of my life.
Time
has built four hundred years between then and now, and myths have formed, which
became our truth for generations. Even
when I was younger and I was shown the dissonance between the fables and the
truth, it didn’t matter enough. ‘What
difference does it make now?’ I would ask.
Like
most of you, our family will celebrate a moment that we no longer believe, but
will do it anyway, because the momentum is irresistible. We have the turkey, and all the dishes that
attend it, and we will make the day one of gratitude, which for me is still the
redeeming aspect of the celebration. We will
have a feast to celebrate the victory over hunger, and to acknowledge how my
distant relatives put aside their histories and their vast differences and
somehow shared what they had with one another.
And there is where it can be a little tricky, since there is only a sliver
of truth in that.
The
centuries rolled over the lives and all that occurred between the two tribes has
become a fable, one that ignores injustices, and the darker side of humanity. The people who get to write the history, my
distant relatives, have repackaged a war and land theft and the unfortunate bludgeoning
of others with pious beliefs. What we see
instead is a Hallmark movie where everyone lives happily ever after the pumpkin
pie.
The Wampanoags and Pilgrims
from Europe are not literally
my distant relatives, but, like many of you, I am connected to both lineages. Just thinking of that this morning makes me
want to invite both families to my table this Thursday, if not to make peace at
least to honor the true history.
Nothing
I will write today will matter to the side of my family whose lives and land
were taken by the other side of my family.
I suppose if there is any purpose
in raising these thoughts, it is to give some respect to the real story of
1621. The Wampanoags
in the east, and the millions of people who were native to the plains and the
lakes and the mountains before the first refugees and illegal aliens arrived. Their story is part of the Mayflower story
too.
I
don’t want to dispose of the tradition of Thanksgiving, which in my heart is a
pause to give thanks and to share what we have with others. I don’t want to take away the fun of the celebration
this week. I like the children making
turkeys from the outline of their hand, and the fun runs and the big meal and
the nap after. I want to expand gratitude
as large as we can handle it, perhaps starting with Thursday.
But
I also know I need to respond to the other voices from four hundred years ago
who ask for someone to recall the truth.
One of the new traditions of this week, along with giving thanks for
what we have, will be to ask for reconciliation. To acknowledge all of the distant relatives, including
those that have not been invited to the bounty.
Hope
this finds you graceful and grateful,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment