June
7, 2021
Greetings
from the fullness,
Each
step became a journey of its own.
Last Tuesday I
celebrated my birthday, and all our birthdays, by climbing Half Dome, a
rigorous ascent from the floor of Yosemite to the granite knot that towers
above the tree line. In the twelve hours
we spent making our way up, and then down, I became reminded of one of the more
important lessons of living.
A week later I
can still feel the fullness of the day.
Not only in my sore muscles, but in the new places that have been sparked
in my mind.
A few years ago,
I read a book by Jedidiah Jenkins, and watched a small documentary about his
travels on bike from Oregon to South America.
The adventure was interesting, but the lesson was what stayed with me.
“Routine is
the enemy of time; it makes it fly by.
When we are a kid, everything is astonishing, everything is new, and so
your brain is awake and turned on.” he said.
He goes on to say that as you get everything figured out and create a
routine for life, the alertness goes away.
Soon the moments slip by unnoticed, and then hours and days. Suddenly years pass.
The cure, Jenkins
says, is to create a life that demands you pay attention, be startled, afraid
even. To learn, to engage, to feel full
emotions. In this awakened state, we
slow down time by crafting hours of living.
Remember those endless afternoons when you were seven years old?
None of this
is new. I am only writing this out to
remind you, and me, of the importance. I
have been thinking about the days my children were born, and those when loved
ones passed, and other celebrations and challenges and adventures. They were exhausting and demanding and thrilling
and in all of that, those days were filled with such rich experiences they kept
me in place. Time stayed with me instead
of racing away like a mischievous puppy.
I woke on my
birthday and stood in the dark with my brother Douglas and sipped coffee in the
light of our headlamps. We whispered our
plans back and forth, giggling, already anxious to begin, but waiting for the
rest of our group to wake. I wasn’t sure
what to expect, but I couldn’t wait to see it unfold.
I am tempted
to share some of the day, but I’ll admit I’m intimidated. It was a holy time for me, and in this moment
I feel unprepared and unworthy to describe it all. And still, I am going to damn well write it
anyway, because that’s why I am here.
There were
moments like these: Climbing the ragged steps along the Mist Trail, the
waterfalls raging in the dark next to us, our headlamps weaving in the air
around us like manic fireflies.
Unnerved, nearly
crawling up Sub Dome, feeling the open cliff pulling at me. Trembling muscles, gasping for air, heart
hammering in my ears, whispering “..give me strength…run the mile you’re in…help
me to feel you here…”
The air grew
thin as we rose up into the mountain, and then we could no longer take our
breath for granted. Hundreds of strangers
wishing me happy birthday along the way, or joining in our warbling song to celebrate. And the ultimate mash up: dangling from the
cables of Half Dome as my brother led a group of strangers strung down the
mountain behind us in ‘Hap-py birth-day dear Dav-ud…”gasping with the effort.
Praying for my
sister on the summit, under a clear blue dome that stretched over mountains as
far as we could see in any direction.
Finding the perfect place, tucked inside the mountain, to keep her stone
for the next millennium. The whirl of
feathers in my chest when I looked over the edge of the cliff to the valley
below. Watching Lee’s tangerine escape; bright
orange bounding across the white granite, and then disappearing into the air beyond
the edge. Then, reluctantly, easing back
down the cables, and into the trails below, the sun baking us in the bright
places so we would love the cool of the tall pines.
Lunch by the
river, sitting on a log eating mangled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We were entertained by a single trout idling
in the clear, emerald water. I didn’t
want to leave; “I love this.” I said.
The others, packs already on their backs looked at me quizzically. “This.” I said, gesturing around us. I meant the idyllic setting, and moments
later, I meant all of life.
The trail was rarely
predictable. Rocks and roots and uneven
places, we wound through the mountains on switchbacks that were not polite
about their intentions. I had to pay
attention to where I was stepping or I risked tripping and falling, which in
some places could be fatal.
My legs were
so tired that I had to will them to move, to have a conversation with them,
asking them to partner with me again, just another step. Each step became a journey of its own. It is a different experience than simply getting
up and perambulating to the mailbox and back, unaware of the miracle your body
is performing.
We stumbled
into camp a dozen loaded hours from when we left and dropped our things and
then, inspired by Cali, made our way back to the Merced River and waded
in. I sat in the icy water and felt the
muscles go numb, my aches washed away with the dust on me. I felt the weight of the day, a welcome
weariness that comes with filling the hours with new experiences, with learning,
astonishment, fear, exhilaration, wonder, and the deeply rooted passion that
still brings tears to my eyes.
We
are given the chance to feel life this way in ordinary moments. Preparing a meal, fixing a flat tire, planting
flowers, making coffee. It comes to us
in perfect sunrises, ping pong conversations, interruptions, long hard
laughter, overwhelming love. It comes
because we allow it, choose it. When we
fill our moments with intention, deliberately choosing awe instead of emptiness,
we become companions with time. It falls
into step with us, keeps pace as we move through our life. In time, there is the infinitesimal and the
infinite, and what separates the two is what we fill the moments with.
Hope
this finds you taking your time,
David
Copyright © 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment