June
28, 2021
Greetings
from the irresistible,
“What’s so
funny?” asked the young man in the seat next to me.
I was still laughing
about things that happened the days before, random bursts that I tried to keep
quiet, but he couldn’t help noticing, or asking. We were going to be on a four-hour flight, so
I imagine he wanted to know if I was some kind of nut.
“Honestly,
lots of things are funny but just now I was thinking of Pixley.”
I could tell
he already regretted asking the question.
Pixley California
is a hardscrabble desert town patched on the edge of highway 99 in the middle
of the state. It is far enough from
anything else that you would wonder how people came to stay there in the first
place, or why they stayed. It’s one
remarkable attribute might be that the town’s name was used in the ‘60’s era TV
sit com ‘Petticoat Junction’.
My brother looped
through town searching for the gas station, noting the empty buildings, hollow
cars, the few people walking at the edge of the road. His daughter Cali dozed in the seat next to
him, his wife Lee and I were in the back seat, having already spent too much
time remembering the theme songs to ‘60’s era TV sit coms.
I got out of
the car, curious about an old mini-Winnebago I’d seen sitting abandoned in the
corner of the gas station’s lot, which was one of the more redeeming parts of
the tableau. I only had my back turned
for a minute but when I looked back to our car, there was an old black sedan
parked next to it, with a group of little girls boiling out of it, running into
the gas station. And right next to that,
a Shetland pony.
There was a
large woman holding a rope looped around the horse. She was red in the face, her clothes dark
with sweat. I admit I was astonished that
a tiny horse had appeared out of nowhere.
Before I could think to say hello, I asked, “Did you just take that horse
out of your car?”
A wise person
would not have asked this question, not that I have ever been mistaken for someone
of that ilk. The woman laughed a little,
rattling her false teeth, and a little breathless, told me, “No, I’s just
walking it, my daughter was driving the car.”
“I’s driving
the kids to school and saw this horse walking down the road, and I said, ‘Kids,
you ain’t going to school today!’ and pulled over. I been walking it up and down the road trying
to find whose it is.”
Later my
brother told me that he (and everyone in the car) was deliberately ignoring the
woman with the pony. It was a self-defense
mechanism created from a myriad of experiences with the homeless, the grifters,
and the sketchy types with complicated stories that always end with, “I just
need a few dollars …” Inside the car my
niece Cali was rolling her eyes. Not
only was her midwestern uncle NOT ignoring the woman, he was asking her
questions.
The woman had
a tattoo on her shoulder: ‘Pearl’. I
asked the woman if her name was Pearl, which in retrospect it was the second
dumbest question I had asked that day, right after ‘Did you just take that horse
out of your car?’ As if someone would
tattoo their own name on their shoulder.
“Nah, that’s
my daughter, Pearl.” And then, yelling at the gas station “Pearl, I said no ice
cream, just get me my soda!” She barely
broke cadence and continued to me: “I already called Animal Control, and if no
one claims him, I’m keepin’ him.” The
horse looked up at me, much less curious about me than I was about him. He looked tired, his coat was scarred, his
hooves ragged. Whatever past he had seemed
to weigh heavier than the prospect of living with the woman who held the rope.
The girls swarmed
in and brought the woman her giant Styrofoam tub of soda, and she shooed them away,
still explaining her plans for the horse.
I noticed there was another child strapped into the back seat of the car
wearing only a diaper. If this was an extraordinary
day for her, she didn’t let on.
My brother
couldn’t resist buying ice cream for Pearl and the girls, and it turns out,
most of whoever they knew back in their neighborhood. By the time we eased out of the gas station Animal
Control arrived, and even knowing the story I still smiled at the sight of a
tiny horse standing at the corner gas station.
It was an absurd
little drama playing out in a sun scorched tumbleweed town in the middle of no
reason-to-stop-here. Even as I am telling
you about it, I am laughing. To be
clear, I’m not laughing at the horse or his adoptive family. I am laughing at the incongruity of it, and
most of all at my joyful fascination in the whole thing.
It delights me
to think of how this woman changed her day, and then, to a degree, her life, in
the instant she saw an orphan miniature horse walking down a busy road. How often does this kind of story play out
all over the world? It also makes me
smile that we happened to intersect with the story, which we might easily have missed.
Which is some
of what I said to the young man on the plane.
It only took a few minutes, but I think perhaps a few minutes longer than
he was prepared for. He laughed
politely, not nearly as amused as I was, or am.
In fact, if you were sitting on the deck watching me write this, you
might be tempted to ask, “What’s so funny?”
Hope
this finds you asking dumb questions,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment