Monday, April 26, 2021

Most Important Meal of the Day

 

 



April 26, 2021

 Greetings from the ache,

 Not twenty feet from where I sit writing to you there is a refrigerator filled with food.  It faces a pantry that is stocked with every imaginable consumable, and a few I hadn’t imagined.  This presence is reassuring in a way; I will not go hungry, nor will I ever feel the fear of being hungry.  But neither will I take my abundance for granted. 

 In one of the most influential times of my life I learned a respect for food.  Not as a gourmand or chef, but as a hobo. 

 Most mornings I woke on the ground, a few feet from my bicycle.  I would sit up, the grass damp from dew, and pull things from my saddle bag.  Grape Nuts, sometimes dry from the box, other times soaked in water.  I would boil water and make chickory or instant coffee.  Sometimes I’d make instant oatmeal, only slightly more appealing than drywall putty.  But some mornings, I would pack up my things and ride into the next town and find a diner for breakfast.

 I had planned five dollars a day for my existence.  The money was mostly for food.  I would buy a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter, a can of corned beef hash, canned tuna, boxes of noodles.  I made it last.  And people would give me food, in fact that was what made the budget possible.

 Some days I spent nothing.  Some days I had to buy a part for my bike, or a warm shirt, and then for days I would watch every penny.  So eating in a restaurant was a luxurious extravagance, and I made the most of it.

 I would ride into the town, often a crossroads between farmlands, and then find where the pickup trucks gathered in the first minutes of the day.  It would be called ‘Sweeties’ or ‘Don’s’ or named after the town, or just called ‘Diner’. 

 Small towns are as different as fingerprints, but they have things in common.  In these little diners, especially as the day started, there was a similar cast of characters.  Farmers, local tradesmen, perhaps the constable, all huddling around a meal, trading the news, laughing and gossiping. 

 In the seventies, it was not unusual to see people packing around the country, but not every place welcomed smelly, long haired bike bums.  So, I did my best to be respectful, polite.  People would be curious, so I made it easy for them to be.

 Sometimes there was a waitress, who would become my ambassador to the rest of the patrons, whispering my story to them as she refilled their coffee.  Other times I sat at the counter and the guy cooking would take my order.  I looked for whatever breakfast presented the greatest mass of food for the least money.  Lots of eggs and potatoes and big slabs of toast, whatever I could fill up on that might carry me through the day.  And of course, the bottomless cup of coffee. 

 I’ll also confess I pilfered my share of salt and sugar packets, tubs of jelly, little creamers, wads of napkins.  I’m not really ashamed of this now, but I don’t suggest it to my children.

 In these small spaces it was natural for people at the next table, or across the room, to ask me things.  Where are you headed?  How far do you ride a day?  What do you do when it rains?  Where do you sleep?  And if things went well, someone would offer to pay for my meal.

 I knew very little of nutrition, only that I was burning a lot of calories every day, and the machine needed to be fed.  I was hungry, and some days the space between towns surprised me, so from time to time I ran out of food.  Some nights, sleeping under bridges, or in cornfields, I would go to sleep still feeling the grumble of my empty stomach. 

 It’s the same ache we have all felt at one time or another, but most of us can solve it easily.  In fact, just now I stood up and walked into my kitchen and ate a muffin, answering the mildest mutter of appetite.  But there is something that feels desperate and lonely in going to sleep hungry, a pang that I have not forgotten.

 Along my way I was fed, literally, by the kindness of strangers.  If I stopped at a farmhouse and asked permission to sleep on their land, they invariably would feed me, and send me off the next day with food.  A stop at a produce stand, and in exchange for stories of my travels, I would leave with apples or a jar of preserves.  People driving past me would stop and give me things.  I haven’t forgotten these powerful acts of grace.

 It has been over four decades since those experiences and I still feel them as fresh as now.  Every time I sit down and order breakfast at a diner, I feel this small rush of gratitude.

 Two things remain with me from this passage. First, that I will never take a full stomach for granted.  Second, I remember the countless times that someone gave me food, or paid for my meal, maybe without knowing what an enormous difference it made.  It is one of the simplest ways to help someone else ease an ache.  I’m reminded this morning, knowing there are people not far from any of us, whose day can be changed with only the smallest sacrifice, of the gift I’ve been given.

 I am going to make my breakfast, a bowl of Grape Nuts.  That thread has stayed with me too.

 

Hope this finds you sated,

 

David

 

 

 

Copyright © 2021 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment