April
12, 2021
Greetings
from the roots,
This
week I was given a message, one of those things that I can sometimes ignore, or
absorb into the plethora of other things that flicker across my consciousness. I might have missed it completely, but I had
help. This morning I will share it with you, perhaps
as a reminder.
The
message was: Grow.
Like
most of the best things that come to me, this word didn’t arrive in the traditional
way. In fact, I absorbed it over time; days
actually passed before I realized what I was being shown.
Light
grows into the day, sooner now than yesterday.
Morning shoos the evening back from the east, chases it across the sky,
siblings above us, squabbling for a place in our life. I am in love with the night and its mysteries,
with the stars and their cousins the fireflies.
But there is a magic in the first light of morning that I was made
for. When it comes earlier, when it
grows the day, I feel as if it is pouring more of that light into me.
This
was my first clue, one that I saw and didn’t absorb, even as people around me
remarked how the season was changing. I was
distracted by what filled the days instead of what made them possible.
Luckily,
I have the birds to remind me. I don’t
know which songs belong to what birds, but some mornings, even as the dark embraced
me, standing with my second cup of coffee out on the deck, I would hear them
begin their conversations with the world.
Earlier. More stridently. In a couple of days, I realized they were
asking to see who was awake. And they were
growing the day.
I went running on almost every morning this week.
Geese flew over, laughing at whatever geese think funny, wandering
across the sky, practicing geometry. Other
birds, late risers, those who may not seize the worm, sang solos, brought together
choruses, made the morning sound into something more than it was.
The
wind pressed between things, sighed against the pine needles, then found small
places to whistle in. It moved across
the open places, carrying what will grow.
Some days the wind was the herald for storms, knotted clouds grumbling
on the horizon, creating sinewed features where there was once only a simple line.
The
world grew wetter. Some mornings it
seemed as if it should rain, but the air declined to shed the moisture in any
organized way. Mist hung over the fields,
ghosts of other storms, both rain and snow, escaping the soil’s grave. Dew bent the blades of grass, glistening under
the pink-grey sky, billions of bedazzled fronds.
I
ran by proud creeks, chattering in lilting voice about their growth. Water, boldened by the snowmelt, pressing new
shape to the banks of the brooks, splashing higher over rocks. The water lept into the air, for a moment was
beyond what streams can do, and then chuckled into itself again and went on to
wherever was waiting.
I
ran along the path that followed the river and was startled by the green filling
the space around me. The woods have
changed from a stick museum to a forest, buds muscling the ends of every branch.
Some trees sported traces of pink or white.
I was in awe. How did this happen? Is this the same life?
Flowers,
so easy to take for granted on some days, were heroes among the winter
litter. Patches of violets, a bold dandelion
guard in the cracked sidewalk, little mobs of daffodils springing up in nonsensical
places among the trees. Pushing aside
impossible to show the color they had growing in them.
The
sounds and smells, the feel of the air, the burgeoning plants. The animals leapt and scurried, deer and
rabbits, squirrels, all knowing the message, passing it on, then living their
day. Grow.
Some
of it sunk in, finally. I thought about
what I knew, and what I had been told about how real growth happens. What was common was that challenges,
difficulties, setbacks, were what made growth possible. I held these thoughts up against the fading winter,
and the victory of spring. Grow, the
world said, open your eyes to this light, and see more and be more.
In
the last year we have been scraped and pushed and worn until we frayed. Looking closely, I saw many people took
moments to learn, and then grow. Even
now I see people creating and connecting, reading differently, finding other
ways to know things. Being uncomfortable,
finding solutions anyway, trying new things, being disappointed, trying
again. Growing. It may be that this time is an unprecedented
opportunity for us all to grow.
Every
day has this potential, I suppose, but in this leading edge of spring, it is practically
shouting at us. Grow! Find the way, small or large, to become
more. It is why you’re here.
I
came home from running, breathless and damp, and stood in my yard and looked
again, saw the message. The lawn is
mostly invisible to me unless there is something to be filled or pulled
out. But there, decorated in glittering
diamonds, I saw what nature conspired to say for weeks now.
There
were brave tufts of grass, surging into the day above their neighbors. As if they got the message first and wanted
to show the way. And show me. This cluster of deep green shoots, towering
over their peers, reaching into the morning air, toward the sky which grew
lighter, to the world that grew more beautiful.
Hope
this finds you growing,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment