February
22, 2021
Greetings
from the big chill,
“To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is
necessary to stand out in the cold.”
Aristotle
There is a
scientific explanation for why frost forms.
I could describe it here, as I understand it, but it is far less
interesting than you might guess, unless I have underestimated your
imagination. Like a lot of other things
I know about, it is much more satisfying to experience it.
Nearly every
day this week I have gone running in conditions that prompted looks that were
skeptical of my sanity. Deep snow, wind,
ice and temperatures that couldn’t be described without expletives. Not the worst weather I’ve dealt with but the
kind of days that urged indoor hobbies to saner people.
This week I
ran in air that was nine degrees below zero. There’s something significant
about the temperature that is described in negative terms. It’s not really the absence of warmth as much
as it is the presence of cold. Somewhere
up the scale is a point where water freezes. I am told that I am mostly water,
so perhaps this is relevant; it crossed my mind this week as I trudged through
the snow, and felt the weather etch into my skin.
My running
friends in Canada like to roll their eyes in Celsius scorn. I might explain the steel required to run in
zero degrees, but they will counter with “You mean -18?” Which really does sound pretty awful. A tip of my tuk to those who run in Saskatchewan
and The Rock and every wild place in between.
But whatever you
call the temperature, it is harsh and unforgiving, and often wrapped inside
that intimidating envelope, there is beauty. One day I ran ten miles, and even
as winter tried to tear me down, it amazed me.
The trees were turned to lace, the most intricate work I’ve seen. Even the smallest branch had been fashioned by
frost into fine white sculpture. When
the sun finally braved the world, it shone through the frost, an opaque light,
barely making the blue sky stand out from the white horizon. I’m ashamed to try to share it here, knowing that
none of my words are worthy.
Even with the
memory of this fantastic morning, I still found myself dreading the cold,
gritting my teeth and grumbling when I saw the digits describing the conditions.
On another day I ran through powder nearly a foot deep, and flakes fell around
me, giant wafers of white filling the air.
The snow fought to capture me, held around my ankles, invited me to give
up running and instead roll in the downy frozen blanket around me. I felt as if some living thing was being made
and I was somehow becoming part of it.
It took me a mile or so to get over the frustration about how fast or
how far I might run, and simply give in to what I’d been given.
Yesterday I cut
into the farmland, a fourteen-mile loop. I left home in the blue half-light just before
dawn, felt the frost seeking out the weak places in the layers of fabric I
pulled on. The thermometer offered a
token single digit to tempt me into thinking it was not all that hostile
outside.
I trudged along
the narrow strips of tarmac between white desert, the world etched in blacks and
greys and chalk. When the sun finally appeared,
it was the only color, a bead of orange peering amidst a copse of trees to the
east. I said out loud “There you are, my
light.”
I glanced down
and realized how comical I must look wearing all these clothes, like a little
kid whose mother made him wear his snowsuit before he went sledding. I was warm, sweating inside after a few
miles, but I could feel the frozen world under my shoes, felt the cold radiate through
my wool socks and chill the bones in my feet.
Out in the wide-open
land the wind ran wild, became allies with the cold to create a new, harsher
place. I could feel the cold ache on
face, my teeth, seep up the seams in my gloves.
The cold leeched into my legs, pulling at the muscles, filling them with
something solid and unforgiving. I felt
the ice form in my eyes, freezing the bit of moisture there. The frost lined my eyelashes, turned the
tears into sculptures. The cold sought every
place it could find, relentlessly seeking.
For a moment I felt like the frost was fighting to freeze me into living
art.
Somewhere in
those miles I felt my body tighten and weaken, my stride became choppy, my legs
pinged little cramps. I gritted my teeth,
panting under my balaclava, almost angry at the winter and the companions it
forced on me. I wanted to stop, to rest,
to find relief from the cold. But four
miles from home is the wrong time to consider that, especially in arctic chill. I churned on.
It wasn’t
until later, when I was stepping out of a long hot shower, that I realized how
fortunate I was. First because of the
incredible landscape I had just been witness to. And second, because nature had again provided
me with a formidable training partner. Not
everyone will appreciate this, but these kinds of challenging miles forge a
strength in a runner that is hard to replicate.
Just the act of toughing it out through a difficult place, plants a seed
that will pay off later. The cold in
that farmland was not going to allow me to give up, and you can’t argue with it.
It seems like
by now I should know this instinctively, but it turns out I’m never too old to
relearn it. In every challenge there can
be an opportunity. In every inconvenience,
an adventure. You don’t have to be a
runner to learn from this. If you are
looking out your window and wishing nature would change to suit your mood, I
urge you to put on your parka and go change your mood. The snow or the cold or rain or the heat or
the wind will serve to bring out the best in you, if you allow it.
Hope
this finds you making snow angels,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment