February
1, 2021
Greetings
from the catalyst,
I
have been idling here, trying to decide how to change the world. So.
The
other morning, I had breakfast. That’s
not the world-changing part, in fact it happens pretty much daily. On that morning I had avocado toast with
three eggs, over easy. I make it
exactly as I have been shown. Some red
pepper flakes, salt and pepper, a little hot sauce.
What
delights me more than the flavor of the meal, which was fantastic, is the fact
that my daughter, Katherine, gave me this breakfast a couple of years ago. On that morning I came into my kitchen, just
back from a run, famished, and Katherine offered to make me something. It was the first time I’d ever had avocado toast,
and she layered some fried eggs on top, and served them up, the hint of a smile
on her face. It was delicious, and also I
felt like I’d been given a little gift.
Now I could have it anytime I wanted?
Well, anytime I can catch an avocado in that magic moment between rock
hard verdant and black pulp.
So,
this week as I finished my breakfast and thought of my daughter, thought I
should call her and tell her, but it seemed silly. Two days later I had the same meal, and the thought
occurred to me again. I was laughing to
myself about it by then.
Another
day passed and I finally called and told her this: “I think of you when I make avocado
toast.” It looks strange alone on the page,
and it’s not something you would say to a stranger on a plane, but it made her happy.
And
it made me happy. It was so much more
satisfying than “What are you watching on Netflix?” or whatever little scraps
of mundanity we might exchange. I told
someone I thought of them, and it made them feel seen and valued, and that was
a gift to me as well. The best part of this is not simply the feeling I get
when I’m reminded of a friend. It is telling
them.
I
think of you when…
Tom,
I think of you when I see a ribbon of road stretching out into farmland. Max, I think of you when I smell bagels
toasting, remembering how you would sit and stare at me until I gave you a
piece of mine.
My
three sons, I think of you when I pass the painting in my den of your four shadows. My sisters, I think of you when someone is
making tea, which makes me think of our Dad making tea. Floyd, I think of you
when I see a loud, floral print shirt.
Which makes me think of Harrison, who wore them too.
Grandpa,
I think of you when I smell a musty basement, or someone smoking a cigar. Suzanne, I think of you when I see candles in
windows.
These
little domino moments happen all day, although we can’t always give in to
them. You might be taking out the trash,
and that makes you think of some kid you knew in the third grade, what was his
name? And that reminds you of your Mom who couldn’t remember a name and would
say “Oh, for crying out loud, you know who I mean.”
There
are people I can’t reach, or whose names I can’t recall, or who have gone from
my life, who drift into view when I’m otherwise inspired. When I meet someone with blue eyes. When I have coffee. When I hear that one song. When I hear a good story. When I’m brushing
my teeth. When I see mountains.
I
think of that guy with the beard I met, that couple with the big dog, the little
kid who asked all the questions, my friend from high school with the scar on his
lip, the man who cut meat at Comber’s.
Cascading
memories are a pleasure, sometimes laced with pain, maybe the tiniest bit of
regret for a lost moment. In fact, most
of my day is decorated with these moments, and the chance to share them, to
tell the person I thought of. What could
change the world will be that I take hold of those moments and act.
This
is a little thing, and many world changing things are, which, ironically, is
why we don’t always bother. So let’s. When you think of that person, then call them,
or write them, or pray to them, or go to them and tell them. It will change their day, for a moment, and
it will change yours. So.
I
think of you when I sit down at this blank page and wait for the words to form. I think of you there in your slippers and
pajamas, or on the subway riding to work, or leaning at the coffee pot, or
starting the tractor, looking at these words I put down so you’d know. I’m thinking of you.
Hope
this finds you calling who you just thought of,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment