December
28, 2020
Greetings
from our direction,
There
are a few versions of the question, people sometimes pose it to prop up dinner
conversation that has gone stale, or it is offered at some moment when friends
are feeling thoughtful, but perhaps not up to anything too deep. It is a steppingstone for late night philosophers
to make their way to morning.
“If
you were stranded on a desert island, and you could only have….” Which may then ask about one book, or two
people, or three tools. It provokes
rumination, and so I have ruminated.
As
I write this, we are leaving this year, or perhaps it is leaving us, I won’t postulate
which. Regardless, there are many, if not most, who would
welcome the sight of 2020 in our rear-view mirror. Ah, these poor months have been blamed for so
much, when they are only guilty of marking time while we filled them.
I
sympathize with anyone who is anxious to have this strange time come to an end. There is something satisfying in the idea of
shutting the door on one challenging year with the hope of welcoming in twelve
months of something better.
I
am blessed with a porous memory. I am
also blessed with a written history, some of which you have read here. Combining these two makes for an interesting
tapestry of truth and truth and something else.
I have sifted through this year, looking at images and listening to the
words that were spoken, remembering anger and laughter and hope and
discouragement,
I
will leave it to others to recap the last twelve months, the victories and the tragedies. There are already enough voices to editorialize
it, enough memes to symbolize the carnival house chaos that was this year. So, join me as I turn to this other path.
Think
of the moments in 2020 when you were at your best. Faced with challenges, you brought your strengths. Confronted by dilemmas, you chose from your
experience, your values, your beliefs. Amidst
divisiveness and indifference, you chose empathy and unity and forgiveness. Trapped in isolation you found growth,
freedom, sought creative ways to connect with friends, to be as close as you
could with family.
Find
a few of your favorite images from this year.
Not when you gloated, not the day of anger, not revenge on the highway,
not when you gave into selfishness or bitterness. None of those will serve you well. Instead, remember when you were most satisfied
with how you used the gifts you own.
If
you could take three words with you from this year, three words that served you
well, what would they be? Three words to
carry into the blank slate, to strengthen yourself for whatever comes.
I
looked at my own year, not unblemished, perhaps more than a few episodes I winced
at in retrospect. I still have plenty of
room to grow and to gain from my missteps.
And I can also see where I came close to what I would wish for myself. And so I chose these three words:
Desire. Determination. Delight.
Desire
precedes action, informs motivation, speaks to a passion. Determination overcomes challenges, dilutes disappointments,
reinforces direction. Delight asks, ‘What
beauty, what fun, what hope, what grace, what next?’, and celebrates the
answer.
This
is not magic, and it’s not a tattoo.
Choose the words you want take into the new year but be open to others
that show up. What I want for you, my
friends, is a rich, satisfying life, filled with moments linked to moments
where you are your best self.
This
is not idealism or some naive belief that just naming words will change the
world for the better. It is a small step
toward what we want for ourselves and the people we care about. We are a myriad of experiences in any day,
and each are formed by us, ultimately.
Sometimes it’s us at our best, maybe because we were prepared to be.
If
you were trapped on a desert island and you could only have three words to
describe how you will live there, which would you choose? I don’t
think next year will be a desert island, but what it holds is up to us. We are bringing our own bags, it’s our choice
how we pack.
Hope
this finds you packing your best,
David
Copyright
© 2020 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment