Monday, December 14, 2020

11th Moanin' of Christmas

 

April 30, 2012

 

Greetings from the crucible,

 Early Sunday morning, I was running the roads in the first dawn, my breath bookmarking the chilled air around me in white puffs.  The sun showed up late, vaulting over the tree line behind me, chasing me west down the country roads, creating shallow shadows in the empty fields around me.

 Farmers had already cut furrows in the dirt, and the land looked like someone had laid a giant pair of wrinkled corduroys there.  But there was no sign of anything growing, and it seemed to me, as I ran past miles of the crop not yet to be, as though nature was holding its breath. 

 Somewhere between the sun’s rays and the soil’s nutrients and the inspiration of the rain, the seeds that lay beneath the dirt can fulfill their destiny to become something else.  But for this morning it was, at a glance, just well-ordered dirt.

 One word came to me, vibrated in me all day. 

 I ran for over two hours, the word caroming around in my head.  It led me to a whole list of words, the fullness of what humans have in them.  It made me think of people in my life, and what they all have in common, the element that is given to us all in some fashion at our creation.

 I ran through the list last night and thought about these gifts we are given that lead us to what we are capable of.  

 Curiosity.  The instigator of inventions, of discoveries, the niggling thought, the sense that good enough cannot be left alone, that discoveries await.  Cat killer, perhaps.  But it is a bit of human drive that leads us past the obvious. 

 The capacity to be amazed.  I realize with every year that passes this gift becomes rusty.  As children, everything is amazing.  Experience fades that.  Technology makes being ‘astonished’ as ordinary as sneezing.  This past week I sat with a friend who was seeing things for the first time that I had long since labeled mundane.  Just thinking now of his excitement over the simplest things reminded me to rub my eyes once in a while and look again.

 Courage.  The strength to say what we mean, to be what the people we are born to be.  To sacrifice the short term convenience for the long term dream.  The perseverance that is needed to push past detours, the resolve to survive and learn from setbacks.  The  determination to begin again.  And again.

 Creativity.  Here is where I often see the seed appear in full bloom.  Through some thinking, some from this part of the brain, some from that side, some from stimulus, some from memory, and the outcome is unparalleled.  Recently I read this: “The hand is where the mind meets the world.”  I see creativity, whatever its origin or theme, extend from the hands, into the words, on the canvas, plucked on the strings of the guitar, sewn in the fabric. 

 

Reason.  The ability to think, to examine, to remember and compare, to learn and discern.  To make choices that align with our deeper thinking, using judgement and not just instinct.  To make best use of our intellect.

 

Passion.  Difficult to define, but you know it when you see it.  The energy that boils out of someone who is acting on what they strongly believe.  Fired by enthusiasm, the passion forms the attitude, the spark that keeps courage from becoming panic.  It is passion that feeds compassion, and the range of emotions from friendship to deep love.

 

I ran by wide swaths of furrowed dirt and thought of the people in my life who succeed, those who struggle, those who have lived their dream, those who have been thwarted by challenges big and small.  I thought of their day today and all of the days to come, filled with opportunity and difficulty, and what they might make of any of it armed with the gifts we are all given, and I let that one word roll around in my head until I could feel it wearing a groove in me. 

 

The word was: ‘potential’.  

 

When I think of people in my life, look at what they are and what they are becoming, or could become, and I am inspired to look harder at what lies inside me, waiting to burst out of the dirt.

 

Our lives, what we bring and what happens to us, chaos and plans, and melted in with it the passion and creativity and courage and all the rest, and from this alloy we shape the potential that each of us has waiting to be forged.

“If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible ....”- Soren Kierkegaard

Hope this finds you living up to yours,

 David

No comments:

Post a Comment