January
4, 2021
Greetings
from the difference,
Some
mornings my mind has one direction, and my body has another. There are times I feel like an innocent
bystander, watching to see what comes of the debate. The other morning, I woke up early, my body
was prepared to run, but whatever was going on in my head suggested the jury
was still out.
I
made coffee and enjoyed the first cup, ironically considered taking a nap in my
big ass chair. The debate continued between body and mind. Imagine a puppy wagging and wriggling to go
out, and you, the reluctant pet-owner, thinking, cripes, I just took you out,
give it a rest. It was like that. Part of my hesitation was that I knew it was
still winter, still winter since I was out in it the day before.
From
the cold place outside I was called by Nature.
‘You have to come out! It’s
astonishing.’ I looked through the frosted
window at the frozen tableau, curious but still skeptical. And then laced up and went out to see.
Outside
the world had changed. Whenever I went
to bed it looked like one thing, and now it was something else, some magic had
happened. This is not my first winter,
you’d think that by now snow would be mundane.
This was different, beautiful in its simple complexity. And made only for me.
It
was morning, but still disguised as night, still a full sweep of the hour hand
before daylight would matter. Darkness
was changed by the snow, it seemed. The
shadows were pushed back by the brilliance held in the whiteness.
Nature
had draped the world lovingly in white. Trees
layered in thick frosting, shrubs transformed to new shapes, every sharp edge softened,
all coated in winter’s blanket.
I
ran where I knew a street should be, disguised now by a thick layer of ivory to
blend with lawns and driveways and gravel and old leaves, all one thing
now. I put the first tracks in the snow,
my legs willing to plow the path, my mind still reticent, but too far in awe to
complain.
I
ran into the morning, the first miles almost unaware I was running, so caught
up in the creations around me. Every
phone line, every mailbox, each parked car, sculpted into something else. I came to the path that led along the river
and up into the woods, hesitated, and then heard the siren song again. ‘It’s astonishing.’ And then I saw a single set of footprints ahead
of me.
I
ran along the path, the trees crowding in around me, bent low by the weight of
the art they carried. It was darker
here, and silent. Even the river, just
yards away, was hushed. I wondered if
the left and right prints ahead of me were somehow the manifestation of the voice
that lured me out.
The
quiet was a presence, a companion. I
could feel the silence, the absence of people or cars or animals, or any note
of movement. The quiet was a gift. I was aware of my breath, the small squeak of
my feet in the frozen path, the only sounds in the morning. The snow absorbed what might have been the snick
and creak and whisper in the woods.
Nature
had created on even the tiniest of branches, layered sinew and muscle on every
tree to make them into something new, more alive. It showed the definition of each, sensual,
strong, some limbs entwined, others reaching out into the dimness above.
I
came to a curve in the path and here was a small tree that had been transformed
into a carved angel. The lower branches
reached out to me, and behind the trunk enormous wings of white, folded forward,
arching over, rippling with power, the snow creating layers of feathers and
muscle and life, bristling with the urge to raise up and fly.
The
footprints disappeared and I turned off the path and into the woods, following
only the space between bark. I slowed as
I ran up the rise, slipping in the snow, trying to find my way among the roots underneath.
Wrapped in the quiet, surrounded by these
strange giant creatures, I ran like I was the only person on earth.
I
stopped at the bluff, breathless from the effort and from the incredible beauty
that spread out around me. Nature, while
I slept, had made this gift for me, took the perfect shapes of these living things,
and made them something else and something more perfect.
And
she had changed me. I had been one
person an hour before, timid and unwilling, already convinced I knew what the
morning held. I’d been loathe to venture
out, comfortable in my soft things, holding my precious coffee. And
now I was a different person, made more beautiful, in my way, by Nature’s
touch.
This
is a composite of common things, laced with something fantastically remarkable. It is winter, ordinary enough here, like countless
other mornings. It is a human being, determined
to be ordinary, arguing for it in fact.
And then it is all of that changed by what could easily be missed, this beauty,
this creation, this love of our world.
The ordinary was transformed by Nature into incredible beauty, and everyone
that allowed it was changed by its presence.
Hope
this finds you seeking,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment