Monday, October 9, 2017

Donkeys in the news



October 9, 2017

Greetings from the pairing,

Secret agent.  Coffee cup.  Dog house. Bohemian rhapsody. Political pundit. Budget deficit.  These are examples of two words I expect to see together.  Not every time; they can be paired with other words I’m sure.  But these combinations are not a surprise to me.

I will freely admit I don’t fully understand every culture on the planet, including the one in which I am currently ensconced.  I am interested in how the rest of the world behaves and why, curious about what makes things hum in lands beyond my land.  I get Canada for the most part, but after that, things seem foreign in other countries.  And that’s why we call them ‘foreign countries’, which are two more words I expect to see together.

Here’s two words I never expected to see together: donkey shortage.

I have to say I don’t consider donkeys much at all, but my impression is they are as common as cockroaches.  Mules, which some asses confuse with donkeys, cannot reproduce and so a mule shortage would not surprise me.  But donkey shortage? 

So when I heard there was a worldwide shortage of donkeys my instinct was to think: ‘I don’t care.’ And then: ‘Wait, what?  That makes no sense.’  And then: ‘I don’t care.’

But the door of curiosity was kicked open and I had no choice but to gape in, my arms akimbo. (‘Arms akimbo’ are two words that I am not surprised to see paired, however I understand if they seem awkward to you.)  I heard a story on NPR about people in several African nations who were struggling because other people are stealing their donkeys.  The demand for donkeys has created a black market, and so theft has skyrocketed.  There is no U lock for donkeys, so you can’t even run into the 7-11 for a second and leave them at the door.  Poof. Gone.

You might assume that the United States is behind this demand, avid consumers that we are.  Maybe donkeys are suddenly the rage at kid’s parties, or an exotic staple at billionaire’s brunches, or the new green transportation alternative to the Prius.  Maybe now it’s cool to show up at the micro-brewery with your donkey, like a fashion accessory, and now millennials all have one, like those ironic beards and tattoo sleeves.

But no, it’s not donkey fashion in the U.S. that’s driving this.  (Donkey fashion being two other words I never expected to see together.) It’s not the U.S. this time, it’s the new consumers in China.

China consumes a lot of quirky stuff that is supposedly good for you and I have noticed a theme among these herbal antidotes.  Rhino horn, goats weed, shark fin, stag antler, tiger bones.  Somehow these ingredients, prepared correctly, lead to a better, let’s say, love life.  Now we add donkeys.

The way it works is the donkey first must give up its hide.  In the interest of propriety, I will just say the donkey doesn’t need it after this process.  Also, donkey rights activists should know, the donkey doesn’t get a say in the process.  (Test: find the THREE words in the last sentence you never expected to see together.)

The hide is then boiled and somehow from this process a smelly brown gelatin is extracted.  This is called e’jiao, which supposedly has properties that promote a variety of healthy outcomes, including improved sex drive. Right now it sells for about $1300.00 an ounce.  One donkey gets you about two pounds of e’jiao so it’s possible, not counting the steaks, you could make over $40,000 per animal. 

Before we go any further, let me position this scenario.   Let’s say that a group of researchers are working on how to deal with improving blood flow, sex drive, or to solve insomnia or dementia, and they think for a long time about how to solve these issues and then one day someone in the group says, ‘Look I know this sounds crazy, but what if we boiled donkey hides and then ate the effluence?  Wouldn’t that make us healthier?’

I have been in some creative brainstorming sessions, but I have to say I have never wandered into the donkey boiling solution arena.  (Not helping you here with new word combinations.)

China is one of the oldest civilizations on earth and evidently has been consuming e’jiao for over two thousand years, so who am I to question the sensibility?  Also worth noting, China has so many people they have to have laws limiting the number of children they can make.  Which has to be a tough one given all the money being spent on the sex drive.

It may sound like I am mocking a culture I don’t understand, and I’ll admit that’s something we do well in my culture.  Fact is, I know virtually nothing about herbal medicines, for all I know they do what is claimed.  Just because it’s hard to imagine boiling a donkey hide could cure coughs, heal skin ulcers, increase ‘energy’ and blood flow, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.  One thing that is obvious, e’jiao is making someone a lot of money.  Donkey dollars. 


Hope this finds you holding on to your assets,

David



Copyright © 2017 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment