July
10, 2017
Greetings from
the thinker,
I’m thinking
about walking in the rain. Refreshing,
and kind of carefree to just walk in the warm summer rain. Today is not good because I have a full day
already, and it wouldn’t be sensible to get my clothes all wet. But I’ll do it. Not right now, but soon, while it’s still
summer.
I’m thinking
about hanging up my hammock. It’s a good
one, big enough to nap in. I’m thinking
I’ll get my favorite books out and just flip through the pages and slip into
the stories at random. I’m going to do that;
I just need to find the right place.
Probably need to clear away some poison ivy first. Might as well trim those trees while I’m at
it. Don’t want to nap too late in the day
or I won’t sleep well at night, and I have to get up early.
I’m thinking
about going to the beach. Take a
blanket, get a good spot on the sand, not too far from the water. Bring some little shovels and buckets to make
sand castles or little mud statues of Buddha.
I’m going to do that, but I need to get some sun first. I’m so pale right now, except for my hands
and my neck. I look like a mismatched
mannequin.
I’m thinking
about going camping. Haven’t done that
in years. Get out the tent, some
sleeping bags. Bug spray. Wood for the fire. Groceries. Some of those lanterns. Might be better to have an air mattress to
sleep on. How to make coffee? Probably
need to borrow a campstove. And those
little folding stools to sit on. Maybe
get a new tent. Maybe first go to Gander
Mountain and see how much some new gear costs.
Probably should research good places to camp. Look at reservations. Check reviews on campsites. Top 10.
I’m thinking
about tossing the Frisbee around. Like
at a picnic. Go to the park, bring a
cooler of food, claim one of the picnic tables there. Invite some friends, toss the Frisbee around,
eat some sandwiches. Slice up a
watermelon. Weekend would be best but it’s
hard to get everyone together. Calendar
says weekends are not great for me, so maybe on a Thursday. I should check with all my friends first. People working, some on vacation. Kids’ activities. Maybe closer to fall when it’s not so busy. Really, you don’t see people throwing Frisbees
much anymore.
I’m thinking
about going kayaking. The river has been
up, would be a good time to drop in here and paddle north to the next
town. Leave the phone behind; just take
some water and a snack and go. Have to
get someone to pick me up, so I guess I’ll need the phone, plus if someone
needed to reach me it would better to have it.
And that way I can take pictures.
But I wouldn’t want it to get wet.
I’ll have to see if the kayak will fit on the car. Might need a rack to carry it. And I really shouldn’t ask someone to wait
around for 2-3 hours for me to call to get picked up. I’m not even sure where the paddle is. Or the lifejacket.
I’m thinking
about getting out the croquet set. Brand
new, never been used. Got the deluxe
version. Best mallets and some good
solid wickets. I could set it up in the
back yard, maybe get a little competition going with the neighbors. I suppose I should find out their names
before I just invite them over. Moles
have been making a mess of the yard so that would be a challenge. Soon as I get a roller to flatten out those
tunnel humps I’ll go looking for that croquet set. It’s in the basement I think. Which really needs to be reorganized.
I’m thinking
about going for a hike in the woods. Not
real aggressive, just find a path and go exploring. Just be out in nature, soak it in. It would be fun to look for birds. Get one of those books and learn about birds
and then go hiking and see if I can spot them.
With binoculars. I should see if
there is an app for birdwatching. I
doubt I’ll ever use binoculars again, no sense in investing in a pair of those. There’s probably classes I could take in
birdwatching. I don’t think I could
hike in my running shoes. Maybe go to
Gander Mountain and look at shoes. And
read up on lyme disease.
I’m thinking
about going to an outdoor concert. I am
always hearing how much fun people have sitting on the grass and listening to
good music. Being in a crowd, singing
along, really feeling the artist’s passion.
Might be tough to find musicians I know nowadays, most of my favorites
are long past touring. Have to take a
chance on some unknowns, which I might not enjoy. I wonder if people still smoke pot at
concerts, I’m not sure I want to be around that. I’m definitely going sometime, so I’ll check
the local venues and see who’s playing.
Maybe watch some YouTube to see if anyone looks appealing. Learn some of the songs so I can sing along.
I’m thinking
about watching the sun rise. The sun
set. Eating ice cream without a
plan. Cooking out. Watching ants. Wading in a creek. Going for a really long bike ride.
I’m thinking
about making a list of things I am thinking about doing. Get a good pen, something with a medium
point. Maybe a legal pad. Numbers down the side. I could use different color highlighters to
prioritize. It’s a good idea to set
priorities so you get to everything you are thinking about. Summer is going fast and I want to be sure to
enjoy it.
Hope
this finds you acting,
David
Copyright
© 2017 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment