Monday, July 31, 2017

Pruning Possessions



July 31, 2017

Greetings from the gardener,

In the normal process of human experience we accumulate things around us.  Aside from the ordinary consumption and owning, there are things that become a part of our household that have some significance; a relationship with us.  The challenge becomes when you have lived so long that these things begin to become a museum of burden.

I am grateful for my wife who has the wisdom and courage to approach this problem.  Sifting through our belongings, separating the wheat from the chaff.  At some point though, she intersects with ‘my stuff’, which can only responsibly be dealt with by me. 

It won’t surprise you that I am a sentimental man.  I look at the various tokens of history scattered about in the basement and wonder first how I could have collected such a mass of detritus and at the same time how I could possibly let go of it.  But I am steeling myself.

In other parts of the house there are boxes of baby clothes, pictures, homework, drawings that once graced the refrigerator.  There are stuffed animals laced with our family DNA, and first shoes and first Halloween costumes and baptism congratulations.  I am not qualified to make decisions about these things because once I start looking at them I will spend the balance of my years on this pale blue dot frozen in a state of maudlin indecision.

But here in this corner of the house is my trove of memories.  Things that have resisted the gravity of the dustbin, in some cases for decades, which must now face a reckoning.  I have already had the first session, handing down judgement on tools and old parts and buckets of nails and orphaned keys.  But here is where practicality and sensibility lose their influence.

There are generations of running relics.  Trophies and plaques and mugs and ribbons.  Foil blankets from marathons, gear bags that held sweaty things, final instructions to runners in 1989.
Dozens of race numbers, my times scribbled in the margins, tiny bouquets of safety pins rusting in the corners. 

Service awards, congratulatory plaques, faded banners, letters of commendation, mementos of important events. Tokens exchanged with people I met from Goderich Ontario, from Glasgow, Scotland, from Seoul South Korea.

Old leather cycling shoes which did not keep up with my expanding foot.  A flannel shirt purchased in the mountains when I rode above the tree line, worn so much it is semitransparent.
And too much more to share without rethinking what I have sworn to throw away.

These things could be kept in plastic boxes in case I want to look at them again, or show them to some grandchild who will have been told to be polite and listen to the old stories.  They could be forged into some Pinterest inspired collage that could be displayed in a room where only a rare visitor might see it, until the day would come they could be retired to the basement again to await their ultimate fate.

There are people I respect who have found ways to live simply, to guard the space around them with discretion so that possessions don’t dominate.  A writer I admire offered this wisdom; everything you own is a relationship.  If you hold it in your hands and it does not bring you some kind of joy, it’s time to end the relationship.  The act of doing this, though, is evocative and sometimes emotional.  It is crossing through streams already forded, and reliving moments that can be refreshing and can be exhausting.

It’s a hard process but a healthy one.  Simplify. That word has a strong appeal, from the most important times in my life and the most challenging.  Simplify.  Seems appropriate when it comes to my things.

It’s not enough to think of a hypothetical grandchild that may one day take this old trophy and put it in her own plastic box somewhere and for a moment have a connection with me.  I have had my moments with the memories, and now it is time to lighten the load.

In truth this is just the first layer.  There are small sanctuaries of mementos in closets and corners and boxes yet unopened.   I’ll deal with those in their turn, and in the meantime I’ll think carefully about what I save to commemorate the moments that happen in the days to come.  If I hold something in my hands and it brings me some kind of joy, I’ll keep it.


Hope this finds you pruning,

David



Copyright © 2017 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment