February
20, 2017
Greetings
from the cayenne,
There are
broad stone steps, that sweep dramatically down to the sidewalk, worn smooth
from thousands of acolytes crossing beneath the enormous round stained glass
façade that welcomed them to St. Matthew’s church. It is beautiful and imposing; generations of masses
and weddings and funerals and baptisms have filled its holy interior.
And there, a
few steps from the top, two brothers were furiously punching each other.
I don’t know
what started it. Not too much time later
I realized it was never clear, or important, what started things like
this. The three of us, me and the two
brothers, were waiting for a ride home, long after school had let out. Talking about whatever eleven-year-old kids
talk about.
And then
suddenly my two friends were fighting on the steps of the church. Not like a scuffle on the playground where one
kid pushes the other, maybe it devolves into a weak wrestling match that would
ultimately be broken up by some adult.
This was not that kind of fight.
This was a brawl, where a fist flattened a nose, another punch landed
against a jaw. Their coats were strewn
around them, David’s shirt was pulled over his head as Gary pummeled his ribs,
both of them snarling curse words so loud that I was sure Father O’Malley would
hear them in the rectory next door. I
stood a few steps away, holding my books like a girl.
They fell into
the stone steps, and tumbled down halfway, still grappling. There was a moment when they were locked in
place, straining muscle against matched muscle, followed by frantic flailing of
arms, pinwheeling punches at each other.
And then for no more reason than would have started it, the fight was
done. Not someone crying or admitting
wrong or saying ‘Uncle’. Just done.
And the two of
them sat next to each other, panting, muttering profanities under their
breath. David’s nose was bleeding; both
had scrapes on their faces and arms. I
handed Gary his glasses which had somehow made a non-spectacle of themselves.
Twisted into odd angles, they barely clung to his face.
“Ma is going
to be mad as hell.” he said, pushing them hopelessly against his nose.
We sat on the
steps together. I was unsure how people
stopped fighting with this ferocity and then recovered and went on like nothing
happened.
These were the
Perrines, icons of my young life. Gary
was a year older than David but they were still mistaken for twins
occasionally. We became friends, each
for individual reasons, but I rarely spoke of them other than The Perrines. As in:
Me: Mom, I’m
gontapreens after school.
Mom: You be
home before the streetlights go on.
Me: But Mom,
it gets dark later over there…
We had St.
Matts in common, where we all suffered under the well intentioned dictatorship
of an assortment of nuns, as much as one can assort a cohort dressed exactly
the same in long black habits. The
Perrines provided comic relief among the clergy, often at their own peril,
which led to impromptu meetings with Sister Mary Edwin. And after school, on days when I could
wrangle it, I would cadge a ride with them to their house.
The Perrines
lived on the other side of town, which for me was an exotic place, even though
it was a mirror of where I lived. They lived in the Berry Patch, a collection
of streets named for fruit probably by someone sick of Oak and Maple. As mundane as that may seem, it was colorful
having your neighborhood called something. Anything.
There were
differences. When I visited the Perrines
I learned that when you went to your friend’s house you stood outside and
yelled for them to come out. This
behavior would have elicited stern discipline in my neighborhood. I tried it so I know.
The real
culture difference began at Bob and Edie Perrine’s house, an Italian home
filled with even more noise than my own.
There was different food and language and music. David and Gary had older brothers who
provided a legacy of humor and rock and roll and ouzo and cigarettes and
colorful stories peppered with lies and obscenities that left me agape. In my first visit to the Perrine house I learned
that my own experience living with three sisters, (my brother was too small to
register as an influence at this point) had not prepared me for the rough and
tumble world that was already coming to get me.
And so we grew
up together, and a gang formed from four different neighborhoods, a sort of
United Nations of miscreants. David and
Gary and Tom and David and Pedro and John and other names that were added and
fell off.
The Perrines
were my friends but, at varying times, my idols and my heroes and my refuge
from the ordinary. They were the guys
with the 57 Chevy Belair. They provided a style I would not have otherwise
known; somehow they always were cooler, more James Dean than Opie Taylor. They invented the Lost Weekend. We ran across rooftops, streaked through
bowling alleys, made movies, recorded songs, chased girls, and laughed every
single time we were together. They
showed me risk was not fatal, taught me to take adventure over waiting for
something more ordinary to develop.
They were
musicians, they were creative, they were passionate. They were confident to the point of reckless,
carefree, and above almost all, they were fun. And they were the funniest guys
I knew, with lightning wit that left me breathless with laughter.
They put an
edge on me where I had no edge. This was not a dangerous thing, not a crude
thing, but an introduction to another perspective. They introduced me to Dangerfield,
Springsteen, Monty Python, cards, bank shots, and whiskey and compound curses. They pestered me about when I would kiss my
girlfriend. They taught me how to carry my books like a guy.
We sat
together on the cold steps of St. Matthews and waited for Edie Perrine to show
up. David and Gary gathered their books
and pulled their coats on and we waited.
And before she pulled up, we were laughing so hard we didn’t notice her
until she honked the horn. And Gary was
right; Ma was mad as hell.
About fifteen
years later, one block away at another beautiful and imposing church, they
would be in tuxedoes at my wedding.
Plotting to throw me in a swimming pool.
In the years
since our paths have unbraided I think of my longtime friends often, especially
when I drive past St. Matthew’s steps. I
have come to understand that what the Perrines added to my life was seasoning,
a zest that made things richer. I am
grateful for what all of my friends shared with me during my life, and I know
that every day can’t be cayenne pepper. But
I learned from the Perrines, and I am glad for the moments when we reached for
what burned hottest.
Hope
this finds you seasoned,
David
Copyright
© 2017 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment