Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day



May 30, 2016

Greetings from where I remember,

In most towns I have passed through I have found memorials to those who have died in war. I have seen simple plaques to elaborate brass vignettes, from rough cairns adorned with flags to towering granite with detailed carvings.  Some are in the town square, others on the edge of graveyards, or in parks where people can sit and think about what they are remembering.

Large cities, it seems, must try harder.  The statues must stand taller than the bustling crowd, the obelisks compete with the skyscrapers, there must be more flags in order to show up among the neon and billboards. 

I’ve stood at the edge of Arlington, awed by the silent rows of white reminders.  I have been in gardens built to surround a single stone with the name of a lost son.  Some memorials are medals, some are parades, some are speeches.  Some are empty chairs at empty tables.

I have stood in front of the Vietnam Wall in D.C. on more than one occasion.  Each time is meaningful; seeing the names, the sheer size of the monument, feeling the coldness of the marble, being below the lip of the earth with the heroes’ memories. 

But the last time I was there I realized something new.  I watched the people step up to find the name they wanted, touching it.  And there in the black/grey surface I could see the reflection of the living imposed on the engraved names of the lost.  I could see us in the Wall.

The word ‘eulogy’ is from the Greek meaning ‘praise’.  The eulogy is meant to describe someone’s life, to recall the best of them, share it with those who cared about them, and those who might have wanted to know them.  We are given this glimpse of them, sometimes heartbreaking sometimes uplifting.  In grieving we console one another, we smile or cry, and we pledge to remember who we lost.  They are never gone as long as they are remembered.  The eulogy is a spoken memorial, words and images that settle on the listener and engrave a person’s life there. 

If we accept the responsibility we are given as survivors, we become living eulogies for those who have passed.  We carry forward the best of them, share it with others, and live it ourselves in our own way.

Gardens become overgrown.  Leaves gather around plaques.  Statutes crumble.  Engravings become worn.  Flags fade.  It is only the people who will outlast time; it is us, the living eulogies.  It is our role to carry the stories forward so that the fallen are never forgotten.

I saw us in the Wall.  We are the memorials.  This is the day when we are reminded of that charge. Sweep the dust from the engraving, polish the surface of the brass, wipe the smudges from the marble.  Carry the memory of the heroes out into this day and the next, and give them the honor they are due. 


Hope this finds you telling their story,

David



Copyright © 2016 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment