Greetings
from the devine,
It
was introduced in the south in the late 1800’s as an ornamental plant. Its vines spread so quickly it became a
threat to other living plants around it.
It shot up trees, over homes, bridges, anything that didn’t move. It covered millions of acres, and went from
being ornamental to aggressive, choking the life out of whatever it covered. It became a reason to have the phrase ‘invasive
species’.
I
remember making my way through Mississippi and asking someone what it was and
they told me and I loved the sound of the word in my head. Kudzu.
I thought it was beautiful the way it coated things, made them
graceful. That is when I was told how dangerous
it was.
I
woke up with an idea. I was sitting on
the edge of the bed, and it was fresh in my mind, burning bright. I was surprised at myself. I could see the path I would take, saw the
first steps, felt passion behind it. I
felt the idea filling me up. I wanted to tell someone about it.
What
we think is often what drives us, directs our actions. Some days it is easy to manage our thoughts
for our own good. Other times we find
our mind crowded with competing emotions and words and thoughts that coat our
best intentions and overwhelm them. It
can be so subtle, so insidious, we don’t always know it is happening. It doesn’t always matter. And then it does.
We
all rationalize, for example. We have
ways of protecting our ego by creating a framework of reasons to justify our
actions, which sometimes avoids the true motivation. It’s natural and every human has their own
version of it. It’s not hard to let it
grow. We can even see it happen and not
change our thoughts until it is too hard.
I
have this idea, it feels like a good fit.
I have to flesh it out a bit, I am not positive how realistic it
is. It’s a good start. I will work on it later. Maybe just get the outline on paper for now. After I walk the dog. And take out the recycling. I should start a
list.
Most
of us carry around the double edged sword of pride. It can be so uplifting, pulling us through
tough times with the strength of other accomplishments, or of our own
worth. And pride can blind us to what is
good for us, keep us from our best selves.
Pride creates imagined slights, prevents us from an apology, or from
asking for help. It makes us afraid to
fail, or to appear weak. Proud thinking
can seem so beautiful, and cover so much more beauty.
Some
days our thoughts are choked with resentment.
We cannot see anything without feeling it is aimed at our failure. Envy creeps in. Others are succeeding, I’m just as worthy and
I’m failing, and why is that? Anger
begins to grow. We look for reasons to
fault people who are working hard at what makes them happy. The resentment climbs into each nook,
clinging to the graciousness, the generosity, the admiration, the gratitude. Choking it all into something else.
This
idea, seemed like a good one at the time, hours ago. I thought: ‘I should write that down, do
something about that.’ But I am so
busy. So busy. Busy, busy, busy. I will write it down later and do something
about it then. So busy right now, can’t
possibly deal with it til later. Busy.
Fear. Self-doubt.
Second thoughts. Sometimes they
are disguised as rational thinking, or being sensible. All of us have let our courage be sapped by
being ‘sensible’. Fear of failure, of
ridicule, of losing something,…fear can take hold in that half-awake moment in
the middle of the night, and by morning it will have covered all of your
dreams.
I
mean, not every thought that comes into my head is a good idea. I can make a note and think about it when
there is time, maybe in the summer. Get
a good pen and paper, sit out on the deck.
I should powerwash the deck. What
I need is a good system for keeping track of ideas. Like a spreadsheet. I can get to that next week.
I
have made my share of mistakes, and then some.
There are moments when those mistakes rear up and shake themselves at
me, and I wince at bad choices, or choices not made. Regret will bloom and
blossom. It is sneaky sometimes, and
once in a while I will see it attaching itself to places in my mind where I am
surprised to find it.
This
inner dialogue, the words we say to ourselves while we make our coffee, is of
our own making. I am guilty of letting
some of these things grow, lulled into believing that because I thought them
they are always legitimate. I am
sometimes actually comforted by my mental kudzu, even knowing that it can be
destructive. I watch it grow, sometimes realizing
it is covering my best self, because it allows me to take a less challenging path. At least in the short term.
I
had this idea, sort of a fantasy I guess.
It was impractical, but you know, I hadn’t thought it all out. It was probably not all that great, but you
know how it is when you first wake up.
Honestly the more I think about it, the less I think of it. I should focus on my priorities. I’ll have more time to deal with daydreams later,
when things settle down.
Hope
this finds you cutting back,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment