May
2, 2016
Greetings
from this side,
The
marquee says that rooms are $35.99. Sunday
special $31.99. There are monthly rates
available. There are TV’s. There are Jazz Rooms. The motel is spread out behind other
businesses near the UHaul office, dozens of units stretching away from the busy
business district. If you didn’t look
closely you might not notice the low, non-descript buildings with the matching
green doors.
I
have not been inside but I know what is between the narrow spaces. I have seen the guts of some rooms pulled out
into the parking lot, maybe for repairs after a big night, or perhaps to update
an ordinary room to a Jazz Room. Two
queen beds, dresser, institutional night stands, lamps. 80’s Drab.
Among
the row of businesses that form the moat between the motel and the constant
traffic on the main road there is a gas station. It has cigs for $5.30. It has a small grocery aisle, a three burner
coffee machine, a lottery machine, and an ATM.
Across the side street from the gas station is where I sometimes get my
coffee. Tall Pikes. $1.96.
January.
Through
my windshield I watch the side lot of the motel. There is a layer of snow, just deep enough to
qualify as a winter stage. I am sipping
my coffee, an indulgence, watching people walk from the motel to the gas
station. Walk back with small plastic
bags, holding Styrofoam cups, smoking.
A
woman appears around the end of the motel.
She is wearing a winter coat, the hood is up, her hair hangs out in
chaotic ropes. She is wearing bright
patterned pajama bottoms and insulated boots. Moon Boots. In one hand she is holding a cigarette, staunchly
working her way toward the filter in short bursts, locomotive puffs. In the other hand she holds a leash. On the other end of the leash is a three
legged dog.
The
woman leads the dog into the stretch of snow that is the median between the
motel and the street. The dog tends to
his business as gracefully as three legs allow.
The woman tries not to watch. I
wonder if dogs are allowed in the motel, but smoking is not. The woman pulls the dog gently but the dance
is not done and so they wait in the cold.
I am struck by the image; two survivors, bound by a loyalty to that brotherhood.
March.
I
am standing near my car, hesitating before I get in. It is unseasonably warm, and I am tempted to
sit at the table on the sidewalk. Across the street at the motel a green door
opens and an unlikely number of people parade out. It is reminiscent of clowns emerging from a
small car. A woman steps out, behind her
a man, wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt, holding the hand of toddler. The child is wearing only a diaper. Three more children appear, and then another
man. I stop counting. I wonder for the tenth time about Jazz Rooms.
The
man lifts the child by the wrist, dangling him by his little arm, swings him
over the yellow mottled parking curb. The
group spills out into the sun, like mineshaft survivors, blinking at the light. The man guides the child across the pavement,
tiny bare feet twitching across the lot.
He leads him to the patch of grass, and lets go of his hand and we are
bound together for a moment, all watching him celebrate with his little dance in
the patch of nature where the three legged dog does his business.
April.
My
car is parked in a different spot, facing away from the green doors, nosed
against the strip of grass along the busy street. A few feet from my bumper is the bus
stop. The grass is beaten down to bare
earth there, seasoned with cigarette butts, bottle caps, Target flyers decoupaged
in the dirt.
I am standing inside the coffee shop, adding an eccentric amount of cream and sugar and stirring it to perfection, looking out the window. A woman pulls her roller bag across the parking lot, skittering across broken blacktop. I didn’t see her leaving the motel but there is only one place she can be coming from. Behind her are two young boys, one holding the hand of the other, tugging him to keep up.
I
walk across the lot to my car. The two
boys are standing close to the bumper, waiting, fidgeting, the dance of all
little boys wanting something to do. The
traffic roars by ten feet away, waves of noise crashing on us. I say good morning; the woman turns slightly
and nods at me. The older boy says
nothing. The younger one says they are
going on the bus. I fold slightly to
speak to him.
“How old are
you?” I ask. It is my standard question for children in
this range.
The boy holds
up a hand and offers three or four fingers, struggling with thumb dexterity. He may be telling me he is OK.
“Are you three?”
He nods. He is chewing something. Someone needs to wipe his nose. It is not me.
“Is this your
brother?” I asked, pointing with my chin at the other boy.
The boy went
on chewing and nodded. Then he shook his
head. “Naw. He’s me,… he’s my...he’s my stick
brother.”
The other boy
said nothing at first, seemed not to be listening.
The smaller
boy again said they were going on a bus.
I said that sounded fun. The
older boy said something I couldn’t hear over the roar of the surf, and all I
heard was dummass.
“I ainneether
a dummass,” said the OK boy. The older
boy said he was too a dummass.
The mother
turned and said something and the boys moved away. The bus slid into view, silently, like a
whale gliding in far deeper water. The
three of them disappeared inside it. It gave
up its illusion of silence and surged away from the shore, coughed a dark cloud
and roared to fit in, bound by a loyalty to that noisy brotherhood.
May
It
is unseasonably cold outside the coffee shop.
If it were not raining it would be snowing. I am at the counter waiting for my coffee.
Tall Pikes. $1.96. I opened my wallet
and remembered I had lost my credit card, and then it occurred to me I didn’t
have any cash to pay for my coffee. Just
a fraction of a second, a tiny pang of anxiousness, flitting over the last few
days, remembering the last money I spent.
The
barista knows me well enough to call me ‘Hey Buddy’. I understand social capital sufficiently to
know I could influence her, to invoke trust.
At the end of the counter is a millionaire I know well enough to ask for
two dollars or two hundred. Around the
table there are other coffee addicts that would help a well-tailored patron,
connected as we are in this brotherhood.
At the gas station there is an ATM, an ironic portal to my wealth. There was no reason to be concerned. No one was going to evict me, or humiliate
me, or send me with my last things out to get on a bus to find some worse place
to sleep. I flashed back thirty some
years to an afternoon when I stood at the counter of the bank and the woman
told me Paul must be paid, and there was nothing to borrow from Peter. I opened my wallet and saw the two dollar
bills.
I
stood outside for a minute, with my extravagant coffee, meticulously prepared
to eccentric perfection. I looked across
the street at the barracks of the anonymous.
I saw them through the chilled mist that hung around me. I felt the gauze-thin illusion that separates
me from nights behind green doors. The fine
web of calamity, hard choices, one last drink, anger, compulsion, missed
connections, sickness, random pointless luck.
The same fragile veil that hangs between any of us and all of us.
Hope
this finds you with $1.96,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment