October
19, 2015
Greetings
from the next question,
One
of my favorite parts of any day is meeting people. It probably developed having spent my
formative years as a wanderer in the company of strangers, often dependent on
them. I didn’t set out purposely to
develop people-meeting skills, it is an outcome of my work, my ongoing search
as a writer, and of my natural curiosity.
When
meeting someone new, most conversations
will hover around finding what we have in common; people, activities, types of
food, families, movies, sports, favorite vacation spots. It is natural for us
to ask each other questions that will lead to common ground, where we establish
rapport. We are social animals, and
faced with a new person, we want to establish a place where we can safely share
information. We look to see if in any
way we are from the same ‘tribe’ as the person we just met.
In the vast catalog of questions that open
conversations, there is this;
“What do you
do?”
Years ago I
read a book by Po Bronson where the author claimed that Americans were the only
people who asked this question of strangers.
In some western cultures, he suggested, it is considered impolite. It was the first time I had ever thought of
that as possible, ugly American that I am.
There are
people who may find it intrusive. There
are probably people who have examined the motive for the question, perhaps too
deeply, and found that it minimizes the life of the person asked. By asking ‘What do you do?” I may be judging
your career choice, your potential income, your IQ, your value to me. Perhaps.
Or maybe I am
just trying to get to know you.
Regardless I
have been more careful ever since to leave the question out of the Level One
conversations. It has not made much of a
difference since eventually people tell me what occupies their day, or what they
‘do’.
What
you do may be a reflection of who you are or be totally irrelevant. You may have far more interesting parts of
your life that express who you are, and that would make for good
conversation. I am thinking of interactions
I have had with cab drivers, some of the most interesting people you can meet,
and there is no way you could sum up what they ‘do’ as “I drive a taxi.” ‘Stay at home’ parents can hardly say “I
shape lives to make the world a better place.” with any modesty, but “I’m a Mom”
is not sufficient. It’s not a satisfying or complete exchange for most people.
I
think asking what someone does for a living is a reasonable question in getting
to know another person, and most of us don’t just stop there. Your occupation, of course, is only a part of
what you do, and what you do isn’t
all of who you are. But how much of that
will be shared standing in line at Starbucks?
For
a while I grew weary of the question so when asked I used to tell people I was ‘with
the FBI’. I did this mostly to see people’s
reaction, because among the many things I do, I am also a smart aleck. I was once at a party where I did this and
before I could correct it my new friend was introducing me to other people as
an FBI agent, which made it impossible to reverse the process. This probably did very little to prop up
people’s faith in the quality of hiring at the FBI.
The
question is usually innocent; it is a way to learn about the other person, to
see what you may have in common with them, which often leads to more
conversation. Most people when asked don’t
feel cornered to defend their career choices, whether they are a waiter or a
barber or a movie director. If they love what they do, they express it, and if
they don’t you learn even more about them.
When
I travel the question inevitably comes up, but it different ways. “Are you traveling for business or pleasure?” “What brings you to Fargo?” I don’t avoid the question, but I do leave
the door open for more. I am a runner, a
parent, a writer, a businessman, a consultant, a voracious reader, and none of
those things are all of what ‘I do’.
Peter
Sagal, host of ‘Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me’,
always asks “What do you do in life?” which leaves room in the response to talk
about your work or your hobbies or your family. There are countless ways to open a
conversation with a stranger that don’t focus on their career. All that it requires is imagination and real curiosity.
In
fact, I am interested in what people do for a living. I have met trapeze
artists and tree farmers and book editors and waiter/actor/directors, and their
choices intrigue me, as well as the path that led them to their work. I’ll go back to where I started: I enjoy
meeting people, because I want to know their story, and often they begin by
saying where they are today, and what they do for a living.
After
all of this I realize that asking ‘What do you do?’ excludes too much. I am interested in careers and work and what
is satisfying, but honestly the rest of what I learn about the people I meet
usually overshadows what they do for a paycheck. The only real challenge is being quiet enough
about me and what I want long enough for others to share who they are.
Hope
this finds you curious,
David
Copyright
© 2015 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment