January 26, 2015
Greetings from the hubbub,
Even if you live in the strange periphery of society that I
inhabit, where sports news rarely registers unless it somehow affects the price
of gasoline, you no doubt have heard about Deflategate.
I will admit I am looking forward to the Superbowl, the one
football game I make a point to watch. However,
if you had asked me two weeks ago which teams would likely make it to the Big
Kahuna of football, I would have had a hard time focusing long enough to
answer.
But when I heard about a team deflating its game balls by a
fraction in order to win a game, I’ll admit it caught my attention. Drama, conspiracy, intrigue, asinine
denials! A clever appellation harkening
back to the 1970’s!
This isn’t ordinary cheating. Not like too many steps taking a lay-up, or a
theatric flop in soccer to stick an opponent with a yellow card. This isn’t nudging another car in the far
turn. It’s not fighting with loaded
gloves or running with springs in your shoes.
It’s not steroids or spitballs or pine tar. It’s not players betting against their own
team. This is a different kind of cheating. It’s hilarious.
I have done a lot of research on the subject. So far I have heard that teams want every
edge possible in the game, and so it is theorized that the Patriots somehow altered
the game balls to make them easier to handle.
So far opinions are pretty much even as to whether deflating
the balls make a substantive difference or not.
From Bill Nye the Science Guy to has-been high school equipment
managers, everyone has weighed in on what effect the deflation would make on
the plays.
Patriot’s coach Bill Belichick has helped the subject by
doing an exhaustive, impartial, scientific investigation and reporting to the
media on his findings. The best summary
of that outcome is that he has created a lot of Seattle Seahawks fans. I only wish he would have added a little
comedic symmetry by echoing “I am not a crook.”
Each time I see an interview with Belichick on this subject, I am
reminded of this Mike Birbiglia quote: “What I should have said was nothing.”
So, let’s say for the moment that the underinflated balls
produced a better outcome for New England.
Coach Belichick states the team did not tweak the pigskin, and he would
have no reason to prevaricate. So who
did?
There is one theory that the balls were deflated by the
Seattle Seahawks, so that that they would be paired with New England in the
Superbowl, where they would crush Tom Brady and his soft balls. There are other suspects. ESPN. CIA. ASPCA.
ASCAP. North Koreans. Obamacare.
Mike Birbiglia.
It could be the balls were affected by Global Warming. A change in temperature, and barometric pressure,
could be the culprit. In which case we
can blame cows, camels and pigs, (make your own pigskin connection) which all
produce ozone-depleting methane.
It is possible that the referees had a hand in the cheating;
everyone knows they bet on the game’s outcome.
(Ask anyone who watched the Lions get cheated out of a Superbowl run
against the Dallas Cowboys.) Another
theory is that the people with the most to gain are responsible: NBC and the
NFL. The fact is, the more people
talking about this controversy the better the viewership on Sunday. Ad revenues alone could be in the $300
million range, and that’s a lot of motivation.
This could be the best thing for the Superbowl since
wardrobe malfunctions.
The other epiphany I had was this: If New England really
deflated the balls and it actually made such a difference that they annihilated
Indianapolis (45 to 7) then OBVIOUSLY we should deflate ALL the balls to 11.5
PSI. We would see some excellent
football.
Hope this finds you full of air,
David
Copyright © 2015 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment