January 19, 2015
Greetings from a hasty life,
When you get a Parent’s License, you are given a list of
phrases to memorize. Here are a few on
the final exam:
“Because I said so.”
“Don’t make me come in there.”
“Stop jumping on the couch or Santa will not come this year.”
“Who left these lights on?
It looks like an airport in here.”
and
“Hurry up!”
Children move at a pace that is natural to them. Their awareness of the pressure of the clock
and the demands of the world’s schedule is vague and slippery and dissolves
each night in sleep.
We set the example; we show them how important it is to be
industrious, to hustle while we hurry.
We tell them how we admire others who are busy, accomplished. We praise them when they fill their days with
things to do, like sports and music and extra education and volunteering. They respond by waking when they are rested,
and moving as if they owned the world, and adapting to whatever comes with a
playful joy.
We try to wear that off them in school with rigorous
activities and strict class periods punctuated by Pavlovian bells to enforce
the rush. And when summer comes, or the
long breaks at the holidays, they revert to their natural state.
Eventually the world begins to win. It says “Hurry up!” and our children become
their parents and grandparents. It is a
life of schedules and appointments and days of choices and only so many hours
to get everything done so that we can be ready to do the next day’s things to
be done.
Life conspires to enforce the hurry. Socks are missing. Traffic snarls. Alarms are muted. The unforeseen
intersects with us, chaos created by billions of hurrying people ripples out in
to the world and swamps our plans and makes us hurry to compensate.
Sometimes we exacerbate our hurry. Poor planning. Over-committing. Forgetting. Procrastination. Our best laid plans are thwarted by sleep or
habit or faulty memory or a broken shoelace we never got around to replacing.
Sometimes I have found that these circumstances bring
something better out of me. No time to waste:
act at optimum efficiency. Think,
decide, act. Repeat. Get to the next
block as fast as possible. I thrive on
the hectic.
But the hectic is not a compassionate life partner. Haste makes waste. Not just because of mistakes born out of
going too fast, but because of the toxins that are created in its wake. Fear,
panic, anxiety are the ingredients to the hectic life. Hurrying through a hectic day creates stress,
and the body resents it.
In my travels I have found groups of people, whole cultures
even, who do not understand the hurry. In
the south. On Indian reservations. In Mexico.
In Hawaii. They all have their
version of this: “Oh, you’ll get used to it; the people here are on Rez time.”
With some time in these environments, I am reminded that some
things that should not be hurried: Reading.
Eating. Listening to music. Conversations. Personal reflection. Creating. Enough time away from the hustle of my
ordinary day and I begin to see the hurry for what it is.
But I can’t carry these places with me forever, and the
world awaits. I can’t be late.
I look for a better example to follow, and I am lost until I
think of my children. Those little
people who become us; we, who were at one time, them.
I am not naïve enough to think I can behave like a five year
old and still function in an adult world.
But I sense the balance I seek is in what they do best, which is to
listen to their natural inclination.
Strangely, running is not hurrying. I am often rushing to fit in a run, and as
soon as I am on the road, the feeling of hurry leaves me. Just yesterday morning, the day stretched
ahead of me full of lists and potential, pulling at me before the sun came up,
the hurry piling up before I could finish my coffee. I responded by lacing up, and running.
In that excellent hour I found what I was looking for. I put the rush in its place, saw it for what
it was. In the eternal scheme of things,
none of what drives the hurry will matter much.
I ran along the wet roads and sorted things in my head, and put them
away for the moment, to be dealt with in good time.
I ran along the wet roads at the pace I chose. The hurry unraveled in me, and the longer I
ran the closer I got to my true age, my true nature. I became what my children have tried to teach
me by example for most of their lives.
Today I will make time to thank them.
Hope this finds you dawdling,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment