February 2, 2015
Greetings from the pondering,
“I must have a prodigious amount of mind; it
takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up!” ― Mark Twain
I sat in the parking lot waiting for something to
click. I am sure if anyone had been
watching they would have been amused at the faces I was making, and the fact
that once in a while I was talking out loud to myself. I stared out the windshield, and took a deep
breath and sighed.
Like all of us, I am faced with choices throughout the
day. Some are trivial, some carry greater
consequence. When I find myself
wrestling with a decision, especially when I am graced with the time to consider
it, I go through the same process that we probably all do.
Our decisions are formed with a blend of logic and emotion
and environment. We have our personal philosophies,
our experiences, and in all likelihood a host of subconscious influences that
we would deny to our friends. For the
most part, our choices are a sum of emotional reactions plus rational thinking
plus the force of our circumstances, which often includes other people.
All the pros and cons accumulate, sometimes in real lists on
lined paper, sometimes in the ether of our conscious. The elements of the decision line up and do
battle, and when the skirmish is complete, sometimes there is a clear
winner. But many times it is not that
satisfying.
Often our decisions are just momentum, the result of the
choices upon choices upon choices that lead down a certain path. A habitual way of making decisions, which
usually serves us, but sometimes blinds us to what is possible. Or we choose simply to choose, because a good
decision now is better than a perfect decision ‘someday’.
We mix in thought upon thought. Rationalizations. Consequences.
Compromises. This is how it’s
always been done, so somehow an answer will form. Probably.
Sometimes the choices are clear and easy. Just as often the answer is in a murky fog of
ambiguity. And so we put the subject to
our tests: What is best for me? What is fair?
What is kind? What would my
heroes do? How much does this matter? Who will care in six months? What is the cost? How many calories? Who else will this effect?
All of this, my experiences, my philosophy, my core values,
probably influenced to a degree by what I had for breakfast, whirl around my
decisions. And then this feather floats
down from where the angels wait, and settles on one side of the scales.
I stared out the windshield and felt the air cooling around
me, heard the wind whispering around the glass.
My mind wandered from my dilemma.
Along the roofline of the grocery store I noticed there was
an owl. Not a real one, it turns out: it
was a molded facsimile. Every thirty
feet or so along the edge of the roof, there was another owl; I’m sure they
have always been there but I hadn’t noticed.
Not decoration, I decided, but to
intimidate real birds to keep them from roosting on the roof and fouling the
building and the people going in and out.
I followed the roofline the length of the façade, seeing
these stern guardians with their identical owl-scowls. And there, in the long stretch between two
corners of the building where the owls stood watch, there was a row of pigeons,
perhaps twenty interlopers, huddled together in a tight line. I don’t know if smirks can form on beaks, but
the implication was there.
My mouth was open in a smile. It was as if someone had created a New Yorker
cartoon and left off the caption for me to fill in. “We’ll wait here until someone sees the irony
in this.”
And then I laughed harder than the moment called for. I laughed until tears formed, and I was
breathless. I rubbed my eyes and sighed
again. And what followed was this
perfect moment of clarity, when choices fell into place among choices and the
scales tipped.
Perspective comes to me in so many ways, but none better than
this. All of the logic and lists of pros
and cons and reasonable thinking goes into the decision recipe. And then there is this wafer thin effect that
tips you in one direction. It might be
some random thought, or a ray of sunshine.
A sign. It could be plastic owl
that reminds you that life is funny.
Sometimes when I look back at enough good decisions I can
almost convince myself that I am smart, or that I learn from my
experience. And maybe that’s true to a
degree. But the part of me that still
feels like an imposter in the adult world thinks otherwise. In that odd moment in the parking lot, I
realized I was laughing at myself. My
choices were far easier when I stopped taking myself too seriously. There is a certain symmetry in getting that
kind of wisdom from an owl.
Hope this finds you flipping a coin,
David
Copyright © 2015 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment