Monday, November 10, 2014

Cell Phone Couture

November 10, 2014

Greetings from gawky couture,

Advancements in human creation propel us into new challenges and opportunities.  Man creates the wheel, which eventually leads to the three car garage, which eventually necessitates garage sales. 

Technology has impact on our lives that we have only begun to understand.  It will continue to make our lives easier and better and challenge us in ways we haven’t thought of.  Prepare for the sartorial angst.

The first mobile phone I owned came with its own bag, which I carried like a purse, crushing the stylish shoulder pads in my double breasted suit.  When I went to lunch I looked like I was checking for radiation at TGI Fridays.  It was cumbersome and awkward and ostentatious. 

Thankfully, cellphones got smaller and didn’t require 8 pound batteries to run them.  Once they got to the size of the clamshell flip phone it was possible to carry your phone without making it look like you were the accessory to a communication device.

Phones got smaller, then they got smarter, then they got bigger.  Now bigger yet as one manufacturer tries to outdo the other with wider screens so we can more comfortably watch movies while we walk to the car.


Men are at a loss with how to deal with this, because now there is no sensible way to carry our portable phones.  We can force them into the front pants pocket creating the impression that we have a rectangular cyst manifesting in our upper thigh.  Or wedge the phone in a back pocket, perhaps balancing our sciatic problem caused by our wallet bulging in the in the other pocket.

Now sitting down is a challenge.  No matter what pocket the phone is crammed into, you risk bruising the body or cracking the screen.  Enter a solution: a protective case to keep the phone safe.  While we are guarding it from damage  as we sit down, let’s add protection from dropping it into the toilet.  Now you have tripled the size and bulk of your cellphone.

It has stopped mattering how much you spent to get your suit tailored to fit when you have to carry your cartonphone around.  Slip it into the inside pocket and your jacket hangs to one side, like you’re packing a phone book, and that slim Euro-cut profile you paid for ends up looking like you bought an irregular off-the-rack suit from Big Lots.

Rather than risk the rebirth of cargo pants, some designer have included special pockets inside suits, customized to handle smartphones.  This fad, I predict, will go the way of legwarmers and safari jackets.  (Which would be GREAT to carry a phone in)

There are a few people who choose to carry their phone clipped to their belt in a holster.  I have been cautioned by well-intentioned friends that this is one step away from carrying a fanny pack.  Unless you are Batman, don’t carry a utility belt.

Women have a different set of challenges, and a different set of solutions.  In summer it is fairly common to see phones wedged into décolletage, waistband of sweatpants, and in the tiny unusable back pockets of skintight jeggings.  Women have solutions in purses.  Large voluminous crossbody messenger bags or tiny wristlets, there is room for the phone to be carried safely and sensibly.

But most women, like most men, have given up on practicality and simply carry their phones in their hands.  Since we are always fiddling with them, calling and texting and sharing and taking pictures of our desserts, it’s important we have them close at hand.

So we can forget them on desks, tables, counters, shelves, toilets, and the top of our car.  Not to mention drop them as we fumble with the other essential items we carry around.  Like sync cords, portable chargers, headphones and Bluetooth earbuds.

There could come a day when ‘wearables’ will be legitimate accessories for the well-dressed person.  Perhaps we will wear our cellphones as watches or sunglasses or jock straps one day, but until then we are like cavemen dragging around our club.  I know, it is such a burden. 

Because I am a man I am qualified to say I have no idea what I’m doing.  I need a way to carry my phone, and its accoutrement, without making my ensemble look a shambles.  Maybe a little leather bag I could carry over my shoulder, like the size of Geiger counter?

Hope this finds you packing,

David

Copyright © 2014 David Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment