September
27, 2021
Greetings
from the tempo,
I
left my street and turned west, glancing down at my watch, scowled a little at
the screen.
If
you had witnessed me passing you might guess I was late for something.
In
fact, my watch was not cooperating. It
refused to talk to indifferent satellites scoring the stratosphere somewhere above
me. That conversation, which I take for
granted every day, was interfering with my ability to compute how far I was running
across the planet and how fast. Even as I
write those words, I realize how incredible this is.
Somehow
the miracle of GPS has become ordinary, hence my scowl. My watch was stubborn, would not behave despite
my marshalling my vast technological experience, which involved turning it off
and back on again.
And
so, I just ran. This simple act, so much
a part of my life, needs only a few things to happen and the watch is not really
one of them.
I
watched the white line scroll under my feet, saw the rise of the pavement
become a slope behind me, the shadows danced around me and then were dissolved
by the ambitious sun. Wisps of clouds turned
peach and a soft color that may not have a name. Off to my left the sky appeared in the earth,
reflected in a rain pond, a momentary bit of beauty. Startling blue and wisps of white somehow
magically framed in a field of green.
I
ran a twelve-mile loop, and I know the miles well enough, and I know the metronome
in my head, which keeps time in my legs.
My feet took turns reaching out, pushing the pavement behind me,
propelling me into the morning. It felt
familiar, like singing a song I know all the words to. I felt like I was running on younger
legs.
I
thought of running with Tom, loping along the sidewalk on Court Street, running
a distance neither of us measured, not knowing how fast we were going, or
having a strategy or a goal. Just
running, stride for stride, eating up the miles, talking about whatever high school
kids talk about.
I
remembered running with a pacer at a marathon out west, held with him as a
dozen in our group dissolved in the miles, until somewhere in the high teens he
turned and said, “And then there were two.”
And ran nearly silently for the last miles, challenging and witnessing, holding
each other to the purpose we started with.
Phil,
who I ran with for years, who would push me for ten miles, my legs barely a
match to his enormous stride, and then in the last quarter mile, would pour on
a finish that I could not answer. Even on
this morning, as I ran alone along country roads, I remember him turning to me
on Parkside and saying, “We are not going to forget this run. We are killing it.” And I felt him pushing me along the miles.
Running
behind the couple at Boston, 2018, The Big Swim, when the rain and wind showed
up to defeat us, as if the course wasn’t already providing enough reasons to
quit. Weaving through the crowd a step
behind them, letting them plow the thirty mile an hour headwind, watching their
shoulders rock back and forth as they churned through the rain, past the
straggling racers who gave up around us.
They were courage: their steps gave me the strength to make mine
possible.
I
felt those steps. I felt them and picked
up my pace, breathing a little harder, rolling the length of my feet and pressing
off and lifting the leg and reaching out, and landing and repeating. My shoes whispered on the pavement, keeping
time, telling me.
I
will admit I pay attention to my watch, to the feedback it gives me as I
run. I take much of my running as serious
training for different goals, and so it matters to me how I’m performing. But I also run for the pleasure of it, for
where it takes me, those fringes of my best self.
Last
week I might have pushed too hard, and I felt my machine sputter, and so no
matter what the watch said, or didn’t say, it was time to ease back. Maybe the watch knew too.
I
was surprised how the miles melted away, and now I was heading east again, the
sun cheering me from its place on the fringe of trees. I floated past luscious green growth, the
rain still clinging to the leaves, all of it holding summer in place so I can
run in it.
I
ran with Tom and Phil and the pacer and the couple in Boston, felt them pull me
along, urge me to take a longer stride, to ease up here, to simply be the good
animal I am. The watch didn’t matter. I ran as I always have, seeking the best in
me, finding that thread of my purpose, and living it into existence on the
road.
Hope
this finds you timeless,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment