September
13, 2021
Greetings
from the awkward angle,
I
like to think that I am coordinated. It’s
not true, but I like to think it.
To
be clear, I am not referring to being coordinated in the sartorial sense. As I
write this, I am wearing loud plaid pajama pants combined with a garish running
t shirt. And sandals. One might assume I have been participating in
a bizarre triathlon.
I’m
speaking of physical coordination, at least of a particular sort. I suspect I am not alone in this deficiency,
and if it turns out there are enough of us, we can start a support group.
I
am coordinated enough to get through my day without crashing into the furniture
while walking through most rooms. I’m
not going to be doing any complicated gymnastic maneuvers, but I can still bend
over to tie my shoes and not tip into the carpet. Unless I feel a nap coming on.
My
confidence in my dexterity is mostly based on my memory of my twelve-year-old
self, which may be a tad optimistic. I
believe I can balance on a train rail, or catch a football, skip, or dance
without looking like I’m having a seizure.
I
probably would not impress you with my juggling ability, or the famous rub your
tummy/pat your head exercise. I suspect
I could not pass a field sobriety test, completely sober, since touching my
nose or standing on one foot is just outside of my wheelhouse. And I can’t do the alphabet without singing.
I’ll
admit I am not as agile as I have been, but I have tried to sharpen up. I have practiced yoga, though no one would
recognize it as such due to the staggering and cursing. My favorite poses are ‘YMCA’ and ‘Sleeping Man’.
Fact
is, despite my well-appointed ego, I am not as coordinated as I once was, or
thought I was. And so that sets the stage
to introduce what I will call Selfie Snafu Syndrome.
Thanks
to the latest developments, (latest on a five-year-old cell phone) it is
possible for most people to take pictures of themselves to add variety to their
portfolio of various meals, puppies, and political insurrections. This delighted me until I found that I had
SSS.
If
you have ever held up a hand mirror to see the reflection of the back of your
head in the wall mirror in front of you, and for some reason you cannot even
FIND your head in the mirror, you my have a feel for what I experience taking
selfies.
For
the most part, Selfie Snafu Syndrome doesn’t impact me since I delete all the photos
I take of myself that look like I pushed the wrong button while trying to make
a call. Close ups of my shoulder, or
sometimes whatever is behind me. Once in
a while my feet get featured. No one
cares how uncoordinated I am in the privacy of my own home.
It's
when I take a group ‘selfie’ (we can rename that later) that it becomes an
issue. Nearly every group picture I attempt
features the lifeline of my palm, or people sitting nearby. It is a rare moment when I get the friends I want
in the picture, and even then, it is an out of focus shot of the tops of our heads.
I
tell people that my arms are not long enough.
My brother likes to pour derision on my substandard phone, or occasionally
cast aspersions on my substandard IQ. Derisive
aspersions aside, for some reason, my hands are not in communication with my
head; they are simply unaware of each other’s existence. (By the way ‘Derisive Aspersions’ is a great
name for a rock band.) The truth is I
have a disability worthy of a 5k fundraiser.
Perhaps
there is some sort of complex therapy I could get that will resolve this, or some
expensive drug, or maybe a weeklong retreat at an exclusive selfie spa setting that
specializes in caring for people with my troubling syndrome. All I need is to gather financial support to
seek answers. I’m sure others with this
heartbreaking disability will want to help fund it.
I
have done some research, (a phrase I like to use which means ‘I made this up
while drinking coffee’) and found that Selfie Snafu Syndrome is a relatively
new issue but scientists (real ones, not the ones that make vaccines and fluoride
or send people to the moon) are already working on solutions to make it
possible for people like me to produce forgettable pictures of myself with my
friends and family. I get a little teary
eyed just at the thought of it.
Maybe
the day will come when my erratic dexterousness will be matched with my desire
to capture myself and friends in awkward poses, some with their eyes closed, but
we can only hope. Until then, I’ll rely
on the kindness of strangers and waiters and other tourists, (and my brother)
for my group photos.
Hope this finds you in focus,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment