August
2, 2021
Greetings
from the expedition,
“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be
to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” T.S. Eliot
In
the time humans have roamed the world, it has only been the last several
hundred years where we intentionally explored just for the sake of
discovery. In the millennia before that
we just wandered around, picking up food.
But we have
been an ambitious lot: it is hard to find a place on earth where people have
not already been before you. I have a
decent history of wandering around, and exploring intentionally, and is
unlikely in my wide travels that I have ever been in a place first. I doubt I have ever stood in a place never
seen by people before.
So, it was a
little thrill to have that experience this week.
Humans
are just touching the deepest spaces of the ocean, for some the last frontier
on the planet. There are few jungles we
have not mapped. We have already planted
flags on the tips of the highest mountains, spelunked into vast caves, fought
our way into the frigid reaches of the two poles. And when the limits to search slowly ran out,
we sought beyond the bounds of gravity.
Several weeks ago,
I was sitting on my brother’s deck in southern California, chatting in the dim
light just after sunset. In mid-sentence
Douglas pointed into the sky and we stood in awe and watched a string of sixty
satellites make their way into the east.
It was an impressive site, low orbit commuters starting their first day’s
journey around the planet. This was just
one glimmer of the already crowded search of the next unexplored places.
When I see
others finding the edge of what is known it fills me with an excitement and a curiosity,
and a little envy. I am not a thrill
seeker, not addicted to adrenaline or the need for whatever the next new
horizon holds. But I feel the same call
they feel.
I have felt it
on a path in the woods, or my hands on a giant boulder, made before all of us,
or coming into a clearing to find a lake.
I have also felt it calling to me as I run down an empty ribbon of road
heading over the horizon that holds something else. So, I recognized it this week, when I had a
glimpse of the uncharted, untouched, unknown place in front of me.
I ran a few miles
from where my family stayed, went up a path to the water’s edge, a secluded
stretch of beach. Not pristine; my
footprints were not the first. It was
just far enough away from the busy world for me to settle down and see. I crouched at the water’s edge with no plan, and
waited.
I watched the
small waves give out in the shallows and ebb toward me, and then lap at the firm
sand. I saw the water surround the small
stones that had settled there, a wet caress, and then retreat to pass the next
wave taking its place. The water
glistened, polished each pebble, played among the paths in the sand, then
slipped away, taking time with it. This
had gone on for all of the world’s forgotten history, and now I was in it too.
Hidden in that
moment I felt the undiscovered, the new, the never seen. I had a glimpse of eternity, of a new world, the
thrill of seeing the birth of a star or the edge of an unclimbed peak.
I didn’t think
of what time had passed, just held on to what I witnessed, held by explorer’s
awe. Later, as I ran back up the trail,
I remembered what Heraclitus said: “No man ever steps in the same river twice,
for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”
It may be in
the edge of a candle’s flame, or in the glimmer in your granddaughter’s eye, or
in the first light of a burgeoning day, or the feel of earth on your hands as
you press the plant into the cool soil. These
are unexplored places, as unique as each of us, woven in a moment that has
never been experienced, and won’t be repeated.
It is there in
the magic you trade with another person, the first time you learn of them, or
you tell them about you, maybe surprising yourself. It is in the roots of friendship and love
that become wound together. It is
amazing and breathtaking, and no one but you has seen it before.
The beauty in
this, you already see, is that this adventure is in every day. And, in its wake we get to arrive
where we started and know the place for the first time.
Hope
this finds you seeking,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment