August
16, 2021
Greetings
from the sap,
It’s
a thankless job, being a tree. As I
write this, just outside my window, there is a row of giant white pines that
have stood there all their lives, decades, and not once have I considered
thanking them. Well.
Their
neighbors, the maples and oaks, edge the yard, form the forest that is the home
to deer and rabbits and fox and countless other things that love it there. These trees do their work without notice, not
expecting to share in some communal glory.
They don’t pout for the lack of attention, at least from us.
They
raise up, hold the myriad stars in the sky, or the dense blue plate, easing the
sun from one branch to the next as the world asks for the day. They shoulder the snow, they give shelter to
families of birds, collect sun, absorb what we breathe out and scrub it clean,
make hiding places for small animals. They frame the horizons so that the color of our
beginnings and endings have contrast and texture.
They
dance in the wind, the edge of graceful, a ballet perhaps for themselves, but
still a performance for us. They softly clap
their leaves together in delight, partnering with the wind, usually, to create
music, to add as much movement as a tree is allowed in life.
These
trees, and the ones you know, create shade, mute the harsh sounds that would
jar us. Out on my deck, I can sit in a
chair with a cup of coffee, listen to the rain sigh on the maple tree that keeps
the damp at bay, my living canopy. Mrs.
Leafly gives me this gift with no expectations.
These
living things that do this and much more we can’t see, who ask little of us, and
do not seek our gratitude, these noble things that make possibilities for all
of creation. Saplings in Maine, Redwoods
in California, all bound by a heritage older than human existence.
I try to avoid
conversations that feature the weather.
It usually feels like what people will talk about when they are too
timid to talk about other things, or perhaps too tired to conjure the
imagination to find something more interesting.
So if someone told me a storm was coming, I missed it.
This was a
violent storm, vindictive and angry.
Smarter people described a ‘microburst’, which is a terrible misnomer, since
there was nothing small about it to us.
A terrible surge of energy punished the world here, and its chief victims
were trees.
Some
were snapped, some ripped up from their roots and thrown to the earth. Giant trees, older than me, shredded into
something else, broken, split, splintered, ended. I ran through the park, looking at their
carcasses, the bits of noble things now humble detritus. I wondered if they feel, if other trees mourn
their loss, in some tree way.
There
was the angry noise of chainsaws, reducing the trees into something smaller
yet, making room for us to live where we want to, to go where we want to. It was a terrible dirge to mark the passing
of these beautiful things. Maybe because
of other thoughts that filled my mind, I found myself mourning the trees. And then the moment was redeemed.
The author
David James Duncan wrote about trees, a simple but brilliant paragraph I’m
afraid you won’t find, so I’ll share some of it here. “…we marveled that the bodies of trees are
built by their downward hunger for earth and water and their upward yearning
for light.” A paradox that might destroy other things causes the tree to grow
strong. And this:
“..during the
tree’s afterlife, its former hunger and yearning transmogrifies into the enduring
structural integrity known as wood. Wood
is a tree’s life history become something so solid that we can hold it in our
hands. This is not just some lonely cry or mournful eulogy. Right here in the world where every living
thing dies, a fallen tree’s integrity remains so literal that if a luthier adds
string to it we can turn the departed tree’s sun-yearning and thirst-quenching
into the sounds we call live music. And
if a seeming lunatic smashes the wood’s integrity to a pulp, then makes that
pulp into paper, our ink can bring to life stories that multitudes can perform like
symphonies in the sanctums of their very own depths and heights.”
I am a woodworker,
a modest example but nonetheless it is something I have a passion for. I realize more why. I love the aroma of saw dust, of freshly cut
wood. I like the feel of wood being
planed or sanded, the shape and texture.
I like the bit of moisture there in the flesh of the grain, that proof
of its living history. I love trees, I
love the product of their life.
A few feet
from here is a table I made from maple trees.
Their life, already full and beautiful, extended into mine, into my
family’s lives, and now our history is intertwined. The table is scuffed and scratched from
countless meals and homework sessions and card games and birthday celebrations. The tree’s literal integrity, born of wind and
sun and earth and rain, did not end when the tree fell. It simply began again, with me, in this new
life.
I am a writer,
a modest example but nonetheless it is something I have a passion for. In the tradition of writers, my work will be
printed on paper, the grandchildren of a tree whose days of sighing in the wind
are finished. But whose legacy is
continued, in partnership with the words that form my own.
In my small
way, I have found a way to thank trees for their gifts to us and all the living
things they hold in their boughs. It is
a strange sentence to write, but I feel a sense of debt to these parts of
creation, and it delights me to think that somehow my life now acts as gratitude
for their beauty.
Even so, when
I finish writing this sentence, I am going out to see the guardian pines and thank
them for all they bring to my life.
Hope
this finds you grateful,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment