August
26, 2019
Greetings from
the prompt,
There have been several important experiences in my life where,
afterwards, I would think to myself: “How can I hold on to this? What can I do to keep the magic, the change
in me, and apply it in the rest of my life in a meaningful way?” That sounds so formal and stiff, but after
trying a number of times, it’s as close as I can say this morning.
I’ll admit I sometimes expected more dramatic, or more obvious evidence
of my life lessons. But it turns out
that many times what lasts longest from the mountaintop experiences is often so
small it can be missed. It is often as
subtle as a whisper. The impact however is
more profound, I think.
Imagine you
are an actor on stage, with no idea what the play is about. You are doing your best to seem like you fit
in the scene, but without knowing what the story is, it feels awkward and awful. And sometimes there is a voice in the wings,
there just off stage, whispering your lines to you. You listen because you don’t know what else to
do, you need direction, maybe desperately.
Whatever the voice says you cling to and try to make sense of what is
happening.
You also listen
because the voice is so familiar, because it is almost always your own.
I find myself drawn to people who are returning from their own mountaintop
experiences, to see how they make the transition from being inspired to living
inspired. How will they now walk through
life holding on to the change in them?
What do they practice to ensure that the lesson is not diluted by the
steady deluge of ordinary life? I have
friends who have travelled as missionaries, others who have battled cancer,
some who rode their bicycles across the country, ran ultramarathons, a few who
have failed hugely and started over. How
do they keep the magic in their lives?
No one can say exactly. It’s
not like it’s repeating a mantra, or creating a discipline, or something so
overt as that. The lessons that stay
with us are these strands that are woven into our subconscious, maybe just
below the everyday operations. They show
up in what the voice tells us, the one there just off stage waiting to see if
we forget our lines.
When my daughter Katherine came back from a bike tour I asked her what
it was like traveling with sometimes five other guys, trying to figure out the
dynamics of how fast to ride, when to eat, stopping for the day. She said “Being accommodating is a
strength. Compromise is a skill.” I don’t know if she says those words out
loud, but I like how she makes it a part of her life, still.
One of the constants I hear from people who are molding a life lesson
is the way that time passes differently when you are fully present an
experience. Challenging yourself in an
ashram, climbing a mountain peak, running a hundred miles, immersing yourself
in Colombia for a year, caring for a dying spouse, recovering from a near death
accident. And that lesson carries into
playing with children on the floor, loving someone, learning to play an instrument,
creating something, making a new friend, writing an essay at five a.m. on a Monday.
Many years ago, my son Harrison spent a weekend working with kids in
Special Olympics. When he left, he was a
kind, empathetic twelve-year-old. When
he came back, he was that same person, but his voice said: “Man, I can’t
believe anyone would make fun of someone just because they have an extra
chromosome.” I’m telling you today he
still hears that voice.
The other thing I know is that sometimes there is a voice, still ours,
that does not respect the lessons we care about. It is the voice of some lesser self, still
us, but not who we aspire to, not who we hope for. Not the voice of the person we promised ourselves
we would be.
There is a
place in the marathon where the voices come in to contend with the challenge I
am experiencing. There is one voice that
suggests that I give up, make some excuses, even tries them out with me. ‘Here’s what you can say to people after you
fail. See? That sounds reasonable.’ The part of me that is afraid, unsure, that
doesn’t remember the lessons, sometimes gets to speak to me too. The lesson here I have learned the hard
way. Don’t listen to the voice that
tells you to fail.
A couple of days
ago I ran a race, a course I have competed on for 38 years. I wasn’t sure what to expect from my body, even
though the conditions were good. When I went
through the first mile, I knew it would be a day to celebrate; I felt full of
life and passion. When the ninth mile
came so did the other voice, the one that said I should coast, that maybe the
scouring I was feeling in my lungs was a sign that my running days are over.
The lesson I remembered
then was this: “Don’t listen to the voice that tells you to fail.” I learned it at the top of Trail Ridge Pass,
at the 21 mile mark of Boston, when I stood to tell a Moth story, when I wrote
the first words at the top of this page.
Listen for the
voice that brings you the lessons you wanted to live by. They are not always dramatic or world
changing, they are the light that makes your life one shade brighter, one moment
closer to your best self. What we were
intended for.
This morning I
stood on my deck, just before it got light, and let the voice come. These are not merely aphorisms, not just mental
memes to be flipped past and forgotten. Like
you I have lessons that I care about, the ones that I want to listen to. The voice said:
“You better bring
it. Before you flip someone off in
traffic, assume you will meet them later in the day. Don’t judge a run by the first mile. Ask
someone what the best part of their day was. Be remembered for being fair. Listen to people before you guess what they care
about. Never underestimate the day.”
Hope
this finds you listening,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment