August
12, 2019
Greetings from
the reflection,
It is round, maybe the size of a penny. On the back is etched a couple
letters. It is somewhat crudely
connected to a piece of heavy metal wire, stiff but bendable, and on the other
end, another amateurish braze holding a small metal clip. It is a simple design, although you might not
guess what it’s for by looking at it. It’s
small and fragile, and it has saved my life countless times.
On the narrow two-lane roads snaking through Oregon and into California
there are huge trucks pulling double trailers with enormous logs strapped into
them. Wood that was only recently
enormous trees towering in the dense rainforests of the Pacific Northwest. These trucks are the lifeline of the lumber
industry and they are on a schedule and they drive fast. The drivers know every curve and hill and
they can do the route almost without looking.
There is a white line, sometimes, that marks the edge of the
road. It is four inches wide. The other side of the white line there is the
slip of the road left over, maybe six inches, and then either gravel or dirt or
grass or nothing. The white line is
where I lived.
I lived in large part to the incidental generosity of the logging drivers,
who gave me the few inches I needed. I
lived also in large part because of the simple, small, fragile contraption that
now sits in a box where my prized possessions rest. In a different era, it would be a bowie knife
or a compass. In my era it was a mirror.
The mirror clipped to my sunglasses on the left bow. It extended a few inches in front of my eye,
positioned so that I could glance up to the left at about forty-five degrees
and in the small circle I could see the world behind me. Tens of thousands of miles I wandered around
the country on two lane roads, my bicycle packed with the only things I needed,
and among them a tiny mirror that kept me from being crushed by logging trucks.
For months after I was off the road, and then to a lesser degree for
years after, I would instinctively glance for my mirror to know if everything
was ok. When I walked out of a building,
or got in a car, or walked across the street, my eyes would automatically dart
up to check. I did it just now. For a while, I did it so often my left eye would
ache.
The logging trucks were violence and chaos, the lumber held in place between
metal stakes and lashed by chains onto the bed of the trailer. When they roared down the road it was normal
to see bark swirling behind them, and mud and branches flying off the
sides. There might be seven sets of
wheels that went by me, literally inches from where I pedaled. I would lock my arms, my hands gripping the handlebars,
focused on the white line, but watching the wheels to see if they slid too
close. I glanced in the mirror to know
if there was another logger behind it because when the truck was past there was
a suction that would pull me off the white line.
Once in a while I would look in the little circle mirror and see that I
needed to dive out of the way or be crushed. Dropping off the white line and into the
shells or the gravel or the ditch, fighting with the brake, gritting my teeth,
praying I would not fall sideways under the wheels.
There were some places and some days when I would see no cars. I could weave across both lanes and sing and ride
no handed or eat while I rode. In truth
most days were like this, my view of the world was in front of me. Vistas that held mountains and oceans and prairies
and deserts. I didn’t live by only looking
into a penny sized reflection of what is behind me.
But I was aware. Cars whooshed
by, motorcycles, pick up trucks, farm equipment, ambulances. A few times I was surprised and nearly dropped
in behind a car only to find out it was pulling a trailer and narrowly missed
being hit. Greyhound buses, with the
engines in the back, would glide up like whales, nearly silent, and then roar
past. I could have touched the doors
where the luggage was stored.
I didn’t live
my life through the mirror. I experienced
every day through all my senses, explored my own thinking, met new people,
exchanged our stories. I saw the
overwhelming beauty, the desolate places, felt the rain and the sweltering sun,
the burning pain of hard work, the hollow ache of loneliness, the triumph of
sunrise. The mirror, the tiny circle of
what was behind me, served a purpose, but was not my purpose.
The logging
trucks were not malicious. They were not
sharks trolling to feed on me. They were
a small part of life, the part that could hurt you, so worth paying attention
to, but still only a part. I will say
that one of the lessons they taught me was that sometimes it was better to sit patiently
in the grass and wait until the logging was done for the day.
This morning
when I looked at this fragment from another life, I realized how much it
mattered. I looked into it countless times, not to see where I was going but to
learn from what was behind me, and to know how to safely go where I was headed. It seems like a good reminder no matter how I’m
travelling.
Hope
this finds you looking ahead,
David
Copyright
© 2019 David Smith


Sometimes a person never understands why a particular thing happened to him on a particular time but just like you, looking at the back after sometime, helps you understand the lesson you learnt from there!
ReplyDeleteAfaq Ahmed
China Silver Brazing Wires