April
8, 2019
Greetings from
the precipice,
“What is madness but nobility
of soul at odds with circumstance.”
Theodore Roethke
It is highly unlikely
that you have considered micromorts this morning, or possibly any morning. The word refers to the scientific risk estimate
that any activity would result in death. A single micromort is a unit of measurement:
this activity or that has a one in one million chance of resulting in the Big Sleep.
Why, you are
asking yourself, would anyone be considering this morbid topic on such a
beautiful morning? Welcome to Taper
Town.
A little background
for the initiated, and those who think they don’t care yet: in the last weeks
of training for a marathon, it is typical for the athlete to reduce the running
and training so that the body can heal from the rigors of the previous dozen
weeks of work. This is known as
tapering.
The word taper
is meant to sound gentle and gradual, as if one were gliding in for a peaceful
landing in a field of down pillows. (I
am laughing maniacally on the other side of the screen at this image.) In fact, the taper is more like stumbling over
the edge into a bottomless abyss, where you are certain on the way down you
will catch a cold. Or pull your
hamstring.
I was just now
feeling my ribcage. One side feels
different, there is a little more space between the ribs on the right. That’s not normal is it? I am going to check Web MD, but if anyone out
there has experience with it, please contact me. No crazy people please.
Thankfully,
after running more than 50 marathons I have evolved past Taper Madness. I know what to expect, and I have adapted. I feel bad for my fellow runners who come
crashing into this chaos in the last week before running Boston.
Just because I
am not dealing with Taper Madness doesn’t mean I should not consider micromorts,
or its cousin, micromalady: which might predict the 1/1,000,000 chance I will
catch dengue fever or other potential sicknesses before next Monday. I am not completely stupid. Even now I am wearing two surgical masks as I
write this because it has never been proven that you can’t catch a cold from
people on the internet. (See ‘computer virus’--duh!)
In the past I
will admit I have succumbed to Taper Tantrums, brought on by a minor grumpiness
in the absence of running long distances.
The body goes through a real change during taper, when the physical demands
go down and the time to worry goes up. The symptoms are similar to drug withdrawal,
including phantom pains, cramps, twinges, pings, shortness of breath, and ohmygod
why am I so freaking tired? Plus you are
willing to commit crimes with little provocation.
Running the
ridiculous, puny miles during the taper often feels like your legs are filled
with molasses, a natural part of the process. Unless something is wrong, like
bubonic plague. Talking with other runners is usually no help because they will
say things like “The hay is in the barn.”
And my response would be “What a STUPID metaphor. What am I a farmer? I’m running a very challenging marathon in a
week and I don’t appreciate rural themed aphorisms right now, especially when
my piriformis is so sensitive!” Whew, I
am sure glad I’m past all that craziness.
Hypochondria is
fairly normal. So is paranoia, although
I don’t think studying micromorts counts.
There is a certain hypersensitivity to your body, like being aware of
your blinking and all of your skin follicles.
Those are normal, right? It seems
like I have a lot of follicles.
There is also a
tendency to overanalyze everything you know about running. What you will wear, your shoes, the training
program mistakes, what to eat and drink, when to sleep or for how long and with
whom, (no one with a cold). This can lead
to certain compulsive behavior including buying new running shoes, three alarm
clocks, and eating red peppers. And don’t even talk to me about the
weather. All this while being moody, racked
with doubt, and by the way, with supernatural strength. Or debilitating weakness.
What’s
annoying is that during taper things actually DO really happen, it’s not hysteria. The pain in my Achilles is real, that is not
a figment of my imagination. And the
night sweats, I am not just dreaming those, and I didn’t hallucinate the fact
that night sweats are a symptom of cholera.
It is such a
relief not to be going through all of that.
All of the emotional surges, hysterical laughing and spontaneous tears,
and questioning yourself. I still have
questions though, like why I can’t find ANYTHING in the refrigerator. Seriously, if I pull a back muscle looking
for the peanut butter, after ALL I have been through, I am going to be very
dangerous. And why am I so bloated? I must weigh 300 pounds.
Anyway, there
is only a week to go, and I am just going to enjoy it. Since I am not running big miles I have all
of this free time on my hands. I just
noticed that there is hair on the back of my hands, I don’t remember that being
there.
The secret to
avoiding the taper is to trust your training. Focus on some distraction that gives you
pleasure. Stay off ladders, don’t lift anything
heavy or go barefoot or eat shellfish, and sleep with a garlic clove in your socks,
the lucky ones you ran in that one day when you felt like you could go
forever. Eat a lot of pasta and put Airborne
tablets in every serving. Oh, and count
your ribs. I’m sure there is one more on
my right side than I had yesterday.
Hope
this finds you overdoing it,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment