Monday, April 22, 2019

Father O'Malley




April 22, 2019

Greetings from the rookie,

It was about half a mile from the church to Hall Flats, the nearest green space to us where we could practice the various school sports.  Hall Flats became either a football field or a baseball field, depending on the season.  It was a low place that often flooded, and the houses on the few streets that bordered it were occupied by people who had no other choice.

I was in grade school at St. Matthews Catholic school, a cluster of a few buildings wedged into the downtown city streets where I grew up.  There was the church, still a beautiful creation of its sort, now over 100 years old, the rectory, a convent, and the school and gymnasium.  What little space was left over on the block it occupied was left as a playground for the students to skin their knees on.

I can still see the high school football players making their way to scrimmage, walking through the busy streets in helmets and pads, clacking their cleats on the sidewalks as Coach Pratt herded them across intersections and past the flower store and the liquor store and down the steps from the bridge into the low field that waited for their blood and sweat.

I know very little about Father J.J. O’Malley.  The priests that staffed our church were enigmas, set aside from the daily activities of the school and the cafeteria.  They were specters that would be referred to occasionally by Sister Mary Edwin, usually as she administered some corrective advice.  We would see them at church services and at sporting events.

Father O’Malley was a compact man, older, whose cleric robes seemed out of place, as if he were a short order cook disguising himself as a priest.  His hair was white and stuck out from under the ball cap he preferred, and tufts of it sprung out from the edge of his t-shirt and at his ears.  He was irascible, or at least that was his temperment when he coached the younger teams in basketball and baseball.  He was known for his direct language, delivered in short barks, usually seasoned with phrases unlikely common among the clergy.

In church he was a priest, performed his mass with perfunctory form, delivering communion like a blackjack dealer at the edge of the altar.  He heard our confessions, (sighing at our lack of inspired transgressions, I think) and prescribed our penance with the same lack of inspiration.

Sometimes I would see him behind the rectory, smoking, in his dingy white t shirt, ill fitting trousers, scuffed shoes, hunched against a wind, or leaning under the small roof out of the rain, a man waiting for his shift to begin. 

Occasionally after basketball practice, he would take a few of us stragglers a couple blocks over to Kewpies where in those days there was a ‘Day Old’ bakery, and we would be treated to a donut.  It was a gentle gesture in contrast to his impatience with us running ‘lines’ in the gym, or our failure to do the three-man-weave effectively.  It was hard to believe it was the same man who would rage at us if we dared walk in street shoes onto the sacred maple court of the St. Matthew’s Panthers. 

Nearly all of my time spent in the company of Father O’Malley was disappointing him, as I was an athlete who did not live up to my potential.  In truth I was comfortable with the arrangement, since in addition to being a lackadaisical competitor, I was a sinner with little success toward redemption.  And yet, the one most lasting memory of him was an act of kindness and encouragement.  And a lesson in profanity.

We were at Hall Flats practicing baseball.  If we ever competed, I don’t remember, it seemed all we did was make our way to the Flats, frustrate poor J.J. O’Malley, and then walk back, dirty and discouraged, which quickly led to horseplay in the streets, further raising the ire of the priest.

I was up to bat.  I was told to get the bat off my shoulder, to stand in the correct crouch, to keep my eye on the ball.  The players in the outfield all moved in, knowing my lack of batting prowess shouting ‘Easy out!’ and less complimentary commentary about my abilities.

Father O’Malley, pitching at the moment, turned and roared at the outfield, told them they should be ashamed, that this man was a member of their team, and he was going to shear the leather off the ball and they would be looking for it for a week.  He told them to get to their positions and shut their pie holes.  And then he turned to me.  If I could have read his mind, I think I would have seen that this is not what he signed up for when he took his vows.  If he prayed, it would be for reassignment.

I remember feeling encouraged but still wondering what the hell he was thinking, since I was more likely to hit myself than the ball.  When Father O’Malley delivered the pitch I swung as hard, and wildly, as my disinterested body would allow. 

There are few things as satisfying as the crack of a wooden bat against a baseball, the solid feeling that the connection just made was as God would have wanted it, if He cared about sports.  I did not watch the ball for long because my pitcher was telling me to run, Smith, run, and so I did and before the outfield could recover from watching the ball arc over them, I was on third base.  As it happens, I can run.

Father O’Malley walked to third base and clapped me on the shoulder and offer me a word of congratulations.  I don’t remember what he said exactly because what happened next was more unforgettable.  Someone in the outfield had sent the ball back, an impressive throw from right field, perhaps thinking that the third baseman should be in on the play.  Which he might have been, had the ball not hit Father J.J. O’Malley squarely in the head, instead.

And that’s how I learned the F-word.

If I were writing a screenplay instead of my version of truth, this vignette might be the turning point for our hero.  Where, perhaps, because someone saw the natural talent hidden in the young athlete, he gains the confidence to go on to great success in sports, perhaps one day dedicating a home run at Yankee Stadium to the priest who had faith in him.  But no.  My trajectory in organized sports continued the same uninspired arc downward until I was old enough for people to stop expecting me to play for any other reason than play. 

I am grateful to have been involved as I was, and for the enthusiastic, (and futile) coaching of people like Father O’Malley.  When he finally left our church, for wherever old coach-clerics go when they are put out to pasture, I missed him. I imagine when J.J. made it to his ultimate reward, there was a small celebration for moments like that day on Hall Flats.  When I see him again, I’m going to thank him, and let him know I learned more from him than just cussing.

Hope this finds you with your head in the game,

David



Copyright © 2019 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment