Monday, November 26, 2018

Holiday opinion




November 26, 2018

Greetings from the reformed,

You may be short on time so here is what happens; I admit I was wrong and agree to shut up.

There are countless numbers of unwritten rules.  You can’t count them because they are unwritten, and rather than start writing them all down and counting them, we say they are unwritten.  And countless.  There may be an unwritten rule about writing about this kind of accounting.

Don’t wear white after Labor Day.  Keep your food from touching other people’s food at the grocery check out.  Don’t make eye contact in the elevator.  No ‘cuts’ in the Communion line.   And a whole host of etiquette things about elbows and knees I won’t go into. 

And of course there’s the one about when to put up your Christmas decorations.  Associated with that is the unwritten rule about when to start playing Christmas music.  

It will surprise no one to know that I have an opinion about this. I have lots of opinions, some of them really well reasoned and founded in logic and in the best interest of mankind.  Here’s an unwritten rule about opinions:

I may have, in the past, expressed my criticism of people who ‘start’ Christmas too early.  I had some arbitrary line that I thought should not be crossed, which has been tested by others all the way back into the summer months.  I may have pointed out the incongruity of inflatable pumpkins and Santa and angels and the baby Jesus surrounded by scary plastic gravestones.  In order to cut back on incidences of incredulity in my life, (an awesome goal) I have made up my mind to let this go.

I decided earlier this year that I was going to keep my Christmas Start opinion to myself.  This decision was underscored when I heard my son Carson quoting me about holiday music coming too early.
“I’m channeling Dad,” he said.  ‘No Christmas MUSIC BEFORE HALLOWEEN!’”  Which, in my head, sounded like Frank Costanza going on about Festivus rules. 

So it seems I have this reputation.  I thought about that and decided not to put it on the list of proudest accomplishments. 

What settled in my mind was what should have occurred to me a long time ago.  If it makes people happy to decorate their homes for Christmas, it seems unkind to be critical of it.  Since I would like to count kindness as a fundamental motivator, I now see that I have been foolish.  I was wrong.

If I have a contrary opinion about something that gives people joy, I should shut up. And while I’m shutting up I should shut up.  And don’t say anything.  And be quiet.

I don’t know why I ever made any issue of it to begin with.  No one appointed me guardian of holiday rules.  I am not the enforcer of Christian etiquette.  Dang, I am not even sure I qualify to say anything about heathen etiquette.  Or about carrying dogs with you in the grocery store.

This revelation made me examine other opinions I have, using the kindness filter.  I am not going to go through the whole list, but it’s not flattering.  Everything sounds judgmental and small. 

Opinions are like head colds.  You may have one, people may even be aware of it, but it doesn’t mean you have to infect them with it.  As a matter of fact, you would be kindest to just stay home with your snotty opinion.  I mean cold.

There are probably unwritten rules about having an opinion about opinions.  I’m already too weary to address that spiral.  I’m going to curl up in this chair and watch the snow fall.

I realize that world leaders often will read this forum, and right now are asking their screens: “Wait, are you saying I shouldn’t have OPINIONS?  How else can we make the world go around?”  I’m not going to say that the kindness filter works for every position, but I will say we could do a lot worse than starting there.

Should we have opinions about art, about making out while going through TSA screening, or baby names, or having 20 items in the express lane?  Yes sure, but maybe we can make a pact to at least be gracious to each other when our opinions differ.  Kindness again. 

I’m in.  Tis the season.

Hope this finds you under mistletoe,

David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment