November
12, 2018
Greetings from
the acolyte,
Before you get
too bogged down, let me explain that what follows is primarily about my dog Max,
and through his existence, my evolution as a human being.
On a many
occasions I have heard people explain the origin of the universe. In my formative years this was usually from
Genesis. Since then I have heard creation
stories from Native Americans on the plains, from South African mythology, from
the early Greeks, and of course from scientists who postulate on the Big Bang.
All of these,
in their way, make an attempt to answer the same questions the human race has
posed since we could form cohesive thoughts beyond survival. Why are we here? Where did we come from? What is our future?
Well, scientific
theory does not propose to answer the question of our purpose; only to hypothesis
and test and review, in the inexorable search for the truth. And then we get to interpret that as humans,
which adds another dimension. It might
be that more science is coming to debunk what we think we know, which happens
regularly.
The same is
true with philosophy and religion, interpreters of our reality. New thinking, new ideas, sometimes relevant
to science, sometimes irrespective, is introduced and considered and either
survives or it doesn’t. Core beliefs don’t
always change but the nuances of what we see as truth, or what guides us, are
constantly being interpreted.
So you know, this
morning is not about getting the answer or settling a debate but asking the questions
and paying attention to what is possible.
Last week I
listened to a lecture by Jordan Peterson, a dense intellectual examination
which just by that definition put it out of my realm of understanding. But a of couple things stood out; one was
this, a paraphrase: “I am going to teach from the edge of my knowledge, and see
if in the exchange we can learn more.”
This struck me as beautiful.
Somewhere else
in the presentation he described the origin of the universe. It was his way of, eventually, leading into
his discussion of the books of the bible. This is an interesting intersection because throughout
my life, even as recent as a few weeks ago, I hear people forming camps about
their beliefs on the subject; that Creationism versus science discussion. Occasionally I am asked to explain what team I’m
on, as if that defines my status, and therefore how others might relate to
me.
Here’s a lesson
in humility and in optimism. Not
everything will be known. It’s not
important that we understand everything.
It is not important that we adopt the beliefs of others or convert theirs
to ours. What I think might be our role is to be open to the idea that we might
all be right, or wrong. The best
possible future is in wondering and communicating and ‘teaching from the edge
of our knowledge’.
We can
formulate opinions, philosophies, life direction, with only an understanding of
what is nearest to us. If we are
gracious animals, which I believe we are intended to be, we can also allow that
other people, including people we love, will formulate some different
perspectives. The blade of truth is sharpened
on the exchange of these differences. To
expand the metaphor, it is not a blade whose purpose is to impale others.
On occasion I
will have a conversation with God during which I will express doubts or
questions, which, so far, He has allowed, in that he does not smite me. Or answer me.
I wonder if He still considering his answer, or if my wondering is his
answer. Sometimes I think this is His
way of telling me to seek more. It is
also possible that this is how I am told that enough is enough. Or, last on the list, no one is listening at
this particular moment, please try again later.
A couple of
days ago I advanced my somewhat disparaging opinion about the potential consciousness
of dogs. Particularly, their ability to
dream, and then to take it further, the possibility they could dream about things
they had never seen, perhaps places only their predecessors had seen. I am willing to bet a cup of coffee you never
have had this discussion in your kitchen.
The truth is I
know almost nothing about dogs and their dreams, and even less about the
possibility that consciousness can pass from one generation to the next. It occurred to me this morning that the
Monarch butterfly has more insight on this than I do.
My nature is
to at least appear competent when confronted, and sometimes I will cling to the
tiny bit of science or philosophy or religion that I have at my disposal to
maintain my dignity. But I am also willing
to be an idiot, if everyone can keep their sense of humor about it.
This took me back
to where I should be every day; wide open, not the pious expert. Here I will quote my friend Tom Skaff who
shared this advice for my son, but I’m pretty sure he’d be willing to expand
the audience. ‘Be humble. Trust God.’
Recently I read
something, I won’t remember it well enough, but this will serve: Let me keep my distance from people who have
all the answers. I need to spend more
time with those who see everything like it is the first time, with the awe that
God put in us as children.
I want to be
the person who looks at a dog as a mystery, one that I can understand only a
fraction, and hope to be inspired to wonder and amazement. And then take him out to pee.
Hope
this finds you wide open,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment