September
10, 2018
Greetings from
the best of my memory,
The sun would arrive
at the prairie like it owned it. The
land was flat, few hills and fewer trees, and when morning came there was not much
to disguise it. When the weather changed
in South Dakota you could see it coming for hours. I had watched a storm come across the same
stretch of world. Purple black clouds
writhing over the sage and dirt, spearing the parched land with jagged white lace.
This morning
was like most others. I was up before
anyone. I switched on the barrel sized
coffee maker in the kitchen of the bunkhouse and leaned against the counter
until there was something for me to drain into my cup.
It was cool
outside. I had pulled on jeans and my
jacket and still felt the air pull at the damp places on my skin, where only minutes
ago I was pressed into my sleeping bag. There
was nowhere to sit, really, so I crouched on my heels and blew over the edge of
the plastic cup and sipped the coffee. I
waited for the sun.
I want to
pause here and answer a question. A few
weeks ago, a friend of mine who read something I wrote, asked me how I remember
things that I share. To answer
truthfully I have to shine a light the deceit we all share.
A lot what I write,
and what you read here, is inspired from moments in my life that I think someone
might find interesting. Once in a while
I set these memories out because I learned from them, or I was changed by the
experience and I want to share it.
But I know
that memory is a slippery thing. I’m
lucky that on many of my adventures I kept a journal, which has managed my
imagination a little. And this place
each Monday where I share with you has become a record of sorts. Just this morning I looked back seventeen
years and saw what I put down, and it gave me back this memory.
There was a
tent where there hadn’t been one the morning before. A man was crawling out of it, as gracefully
as one can when one has been sleeping on the ground. He sat on the hardpacked dirt and pulled on his
shoes, then stood to walk over to me.
He was older
than me by enough years that it was obvious.
There was grey in his beard, and in his hair, which was mostly covered
in a baseball cap. We said ‘morning’ to
each other in quiet voices, aware that people were sleeping. He slipped inside and came out with a cup of his
own and we stood in the yard and got to know each other.
When the sun
was up and warming things I said I was off to run. The man gave me a strange look, which I took
for the same bewilderment I have seen many times, including there on the Pine Ridge
Reservation. But the look was less
disbelief and more delight. He said: “Well,
I’d like to go with you, if you don’t mind”
From what I
have read, and from my experience, the most vivid memories are tied to some
strong emotion. These milestone moments
are usually what stay with me the clearest, and usually what I care about
enough to put into words.
On that
morning and the next, the two of us ran the bare roads that split the rough
country just outside Pine Ridge. There
is nowhere better to get to know someone than an easy run on an empty road. Soon I knew he was a substance abuse counselor,
a reformed drinker himself. I learned a
bit about his family, including his second wife who was probably still waking
up in the tent we left behind. After a
while, hard to say how many miles, I shared a story from another time I crossed
the Pine Ridge when I was just a week short of my 18th birthday.
That story, twenty-six
years old when I told it then, is as clear to me as this moment. I stood with my two traveling companions on
the edge of the reservation and argued over whether to ride where we might be
in danger, or to go around and find another way west.
This morning I
feel like I have skipped a stone over the surface of the last forty-plus years,
plinking a morning run with a new friend, and hopping back another couple of
decades to the story I told him. Memories
of remembering memories.
In truth some
memories come to me in quiet moments and demand to be remembered. Once in a while I’ll be running and they rush
in to occupy the empty space. Ah, then the next step is where the risk is. To trust they are true, to accept them as they
come? And then when the edges are dream
fuzzy, how to make them clear enough to share if we choose to?
Memories are
like leftovers from a meal you really enjoyed.
You may want to heat them up a bit, and add a little seasoning, to bring
them back to life from their Tupperware limbo.
You might add something from other meals you’ve had lying around. And even leftovers are improved with good
presentation.
I know that
memory is a slippery thing. I won’t pretend
that I don’t shore up what I recall with what I think I recall. As a writer I cannot resist adding color to the
faded parts, and from time to time, perhaps arc the truth to suit the symmetry
of what I am saying. I don’t think I do
it to intentionally mislead anyone, including me.
I remember he
was a kind, patient man, who spoke carefully.
When he told me his story I learned from it, and was challenged by his
resilience, his ability to begin again. In
spite of all his hardships, he seemed content. He worked quietly, diligently with us as we
built bunk beds for the children around Pine Ridge. I remember when he packed up his tent to
leave I was sorry.
What color was
the cup? What was his name? What kind of car did they drive? I don’t know.
Ask me what my social security number is and I’ll give you the same
answer. Sorry, try again later.
We all have
this mist over our memory, shaded by time and other experiences that mingle
with what we think we remember. Hopefully,
it bonds us as humans, gives us patience and empathy with other story tellers. One
thing you should know as you read this each week; you can trust me, I will tell
you the truth, but it will be my truth.
Hope
this finds you with total recall,
David
Copyright
© 2018 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment